For our show on January 11, host Teresa Wilke speaks first with Alexandra Clair, author of Illegal Foreclosure, Title Theft, and its Chain of Corruption. Alex has written this book about how America’s banks are stealing private property and feeding homes to the Securities market. Her book explains how title theft is a billion-dollar industry. Certainly, it is a controversy. Certainly, property has real value. You can tune in to listen to Alexandra Clair’s experience when she lost the title to her home.
We hope you will listen.
For the second part of our hour, after the weekly calendar, host Teresa Wilke will speak with Kristin Colangelo, the National Secretary and one of the regional organizers of the National Union of the Homeless. Kristin will talk about their efforts to educate the public on myths of homelessness. There are myriad reasons people find themselves without a home and few have anything to do with insincerity or malingering. Once they are homeless, the struggle to survive consumes people to the point they can get trapped in homelessness. Kristin will help us understand that the homeless are not “those people”, they are us.
“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.”
Please tune in.
Calendar for the week of January 11th:
In compliance with the latest version of Mayor Lucas’ emergency order, certain business activities may resume while ensuring necessary public health measures remain in place. See the FAQS at kcmo.gov.
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri can provide free legal assistance to Jackson County homeowners in pursuing forbearance, mortgage/loan modifications, Chapter 13 bankruptcies, or other legal solutions. There has been a 500% increase in a year of homeowners who were 90 days or more past due on their mortgages. Homeowners who fall behind on their payments may face foreclosure in the near future. Legal Aid of Western Missouri provides free civil legal services to low-income and vulnerable people. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- January is national sex trafficking awareness month, an opportunity to raise awareness and become more educated on the issue of human trafficking, and to learn to spot the signs. Veronica’s Voice asks us to join in wearing blue on MON, Jan 11th for National Human Trafficking Awareness Day.
- MON, Jan 11th, Monday Meets: 4 PM, an online event hosted by Willow Domestic Violence Center. Get to know the Willow, access at Facebook Live. Willow Domestic Violence Center 24 Hour Hotline is 785) 843-3333.
- MON, Jan 11th, Wyandotte County KS Virtual Monthly Meeting of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, 6:30 PM, There are meetings in KS and MO on THURS Jan. 14th, and the KCMO monthly meeting is SUN, Jan. 17th at 4 PM Register to receive access info at https://momsdemandaction.org/events/
- More² will continue to meet online. Both Kansas AND Missouri Issues2Action nights will meet simultaneously, MON, Jan. 11th, 6 PM. Task forces will still breakout as usual. Register at More2.org
- TUES, Jan. 12th 1 PM, MADP informs us there will be a Virtual Prayer Vigil with Catholic Mobilizing Network to hold space for Lisa Montgomery. Please visit Catholic Mobilizing Network to sign up for their zoom links.
- WED, Jan. 13th, 6:30 PM Defunding the Police: What It All Means Kansas City Missouri is a virtual event by Reale Justice Network and others. Open to anyone. Find access at RealeJusticeNetwork on Facebook.
- FRI, Jan 15th, 11:00 AM – noon Smart Sentencing Coalition virtual meeting. Access info at https://empowermissouri.org/events/
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines specific to sheltering are available at lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com. It is updated daily.
Stay safe. Practice physical distancing. Wash your hands. Please take care of yourself and others. Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well! A crisis on the scale of the pandemic can reorder society in dramatic ways, for better or worse. All of society pays a heavy price for decades of failing to create a rational system of health care that works for all of us.