Having worked as a criminal defense attorney for 40 years, Carl Bussey is a fixture in the courtrooms of Kansas City. Energetic, friendly, and frequently seen juggling dockets and phone calls – all while working magic for his clients – a casual observer may never come to understand the truly remarkable story that is Carl Bussey. From being the son of the first Black deputy sheriff and later first Black mayor of Little Rock, Arkansas, to taking the law school entrance exam while stationed as an MP in Panama, Carl’s life experiences have produced some remarkable stories as well as some very timely observations about the criminal justice system today. We hope you can join us.
The calendar for the week of July 27th:
In compliance with the latest version of Mayor Lucas’s emergency order, certain business activities may resume while ensuring necessary public health measures remain in place. See the FAQS at kcmo.gov.
- MON, 7/27 Protest for Black Lives At School: 5-7 PM, Dept of Education Building, 110 McDonald Dr, Lawrence KS. This will be a socially distanced protest at the District Office parking lot during the School Board Meeting demands are: Police Free Schools, End Zero Tolerance Disciplinary Policies, Mandate Black History and Ethnic Studies, Hire More Black Teachers, Recognize our Para Union (PAL-CWA)
- MON 7/27 Protests: De-escalation Training & Showing Up as a White Person: 6 PM Online event. Sign up at SURJ KC on Facebook Join SURJ KC Leaders as we discuss how to be an ally when attending protests. See SURJ KC on Facebook.
- Sex Work in the time of Covid-19: is the Monthly Public Conversation MON, July 27, 7 – 8:30 PM an online event sponsored by ACLU of Missouri. Access info at Indivisible KC on Facebook
- TUES, July 28, 10 AM demonstration at Jackson CTY Courthouse, you can join KC Freedom Project to protest Dan Nelson, Asst Prosecutor in Jackson CTY MO, for his actions in the David Jungerman case. See KCFreedom Project on Facebook.
- WED, July 29 12 noon – 1:30 PM Take Back the Lunch Break, online event access info at poor people’s campaign on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pg/anewppc/events/?ref=page_internal
- THURS, 7/30 6:30 PM, Faces of Innocence Live Virtual Gala: Online event of the Midwest Innocence Project. If you want an easy way to support the fight for justice, their Faces of Innocence Golden Ticket raffle is now open. Info at themip-foi.org.
- THURS 7/30 5:30 – 8 PM, Rigged: The Voter Suppression Playbook: a movie and Online event: sponsored by ACLU KS & ACLU MO They will air Rigged live at 5:30 and host a discussion from 7:00 – 8:00. Some people may prefer to watch the film in advance, and just attend our discussion. RSVP at action.aclu.org
- THURS 7/30 5:00 – 6:00 PM CDT., Online Event, https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-road-to-universal-background- checks-tour-kansas-tickets-114345737178 The Road to Background Checks Tour with: State Senator Dr. Barbara Bollier and Former Congresswoman Gabby Giffords RSVP at eventbrite
- SAT 8/1, Anti-racism Training for Service Industry: 6 8 PM, Online event. Monarch Coffee & The Open Table KC See on Facebook
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines are available at blogspot.com. It is updated daily.
Please take care of yourselves and others. Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well!
Please listen to Jaws of Justice next week!