On Jaws of Justice Radio for February 20, 2023, first, thanks to everyone who showed support of KKFI during our recent pledge drive. Second, you know we leave open the opportunity to give! If you have not yet pledged to keep listener supported KKFI on the air, please go online to https://kkfi.org/ Listeners are aware that we bring you vital information underserved or ignored by mainstream media.
We will open our hour with host Bev Livingston and James Bryant, Reconciliation Services Director of Programs, speaking about the vision of Reconciliation Services, which is to cultivate community, transform Troost AVE from a dividing line into a gathering place, and reveal the strength of all. Reconciliation Services and its predecessor, Reconciliation Ministries, has been at the corner of 31st Street and Troost Avenue for more than 30 years. This corner in midtown Kansas City represents 200 years of deep-rooted racial and economic history; once a part of the Osage Nation, then a part of the Porter Plantation, and now a racial dividing line for the city – but join us as Bev and James talk about a new future for our community. Hopefully, a future that has no racial divining lines. This is the 21st century – we are all in this together!
During the second half of the show, host Craig Lubow talks to attorney Bob Eye about civil liberties issues. We will start with an update of continuing attempts to ban abortion in Kansas and elsewhere. Then we will talk about the anti-trans legislation pending in Kansas and elsewhere. Finally, time permitting, we will talk about the concerns of criminal defense attorneys on the legislative attempt in Kansas to repeal all time limits for filing criminal prosecutions against defendants for alleged sex offenses.
On Jaws of Justice, we examine how to find justice in our society. Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.
Calendar for the week of 2-20-23:
- The Kansas City Chapter of Missouri Citizens United for the Rehabilitation of Errants has a monthly virtual meeting. MO CURE advocates for the human rights of prisoners in Missouri prisons and jails as well as those who have returned to society. For info call Keith Brown El at 816-377-2873.
- You can find Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense events at https://momsdemandaction.org/events/. Open to all, Mothers and others!
- TUES, Feb. 21st, 7 PM, an Evening with NPR’s Juana Summers is at the Dole Institute, 2350 Petefish Dr, Lawrence KS. NPR’s All Things Considered Co-host Juana Summers discusses her remarkable career, her experiences covering race and politics in today’s climate, and the future of journalism. This is a live event but will also be shown on the Dole Institute’s YouTube page.
- THURS, Feb. 23rd, 1 – 3 PM, Kansas City Public Library, Southeast Branch, 6242 Swope Pkwy, Kansas City, MO, is showing ‘Judas and the Black Messiah’, a live event. This movie is the story of Fred Hampton who became Chairman of the Illinois chapter of the Black Panther Party – putting him directly in the crosshairs of the government, the FBI, and the Chicago Police. Please RSVP at https://www.kclibrary.org/node/32324/register
- THURS, Feb. 23rd, 6:30 PM, League of Women Voters for greater KC will host a Forum for Kansas City Council 1st, 2nd and 3rd District Candidates. This is an Online event, find on Facebook.
- THURS, Feb. 23rd, 6 – 8 PM, More² asks you to join their annual public meeting – their biggest event of the year. This is a multi-racial interfaith celebration where our leaders get commitments from elected officials and the community to support issues of racial justice in Missouri and Kansas. You are welcome to attend either LIVE at Overland Park Christian Church, 7600 E. 75th, Overland Park KS or on Zoom. Please sign up at http://more2.org/23pm/
- THURS, Feb. 23rd, 6:30 PM, Empower Missouri is holding a Virtual Townhall webinar on the topic of why faith leaders believe in a Clean Slate. Learn more at https://www.mocleanslate.org/ and register at https://empowermissouri.org/events/virtual-town-hall-why-faith-leaders-believe-in-a-clean-slate/
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines are available at https://lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com/
Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well!