Jaws of Justice Radio Hour will begin with Teresa Wilke talking with Cooper Overstreet, a criminal defense attorney with The Swain Law Office. Cooper Overstreet is a Democratic candidate for the District Attorney in Douglas County, KS. He is going to talk with us about mass incarceration, lack of transparency and unfair treatment of minorities and the poor, issues that have inspired him to run for Douglas County district attorney. He sees mass amounts of infection in our prison system and a lack of action by leaders. Then, Elisa Breitenbach will talk with Curtis Scott Hansen and his attorney, Matt Radefeld. Curtis Scott Hansen was a teenager when he was indicted in 1989 of the sexual abuse of his three nephews, aged 8, 9 and 10, children who were subsequently placed in foster care. Those nephews, now adult, report that they were coerced by a caseworker to give false testimony against Curtis Scott Hansen. This is a story of corruption by child protective service workers and provides another illustration of the tangled web of our criminal justice system. Mr. Hansen states he is not a criminal, nor has he ever been a criminal!
Calendar for the week of May 4th:
In compliance with the local instruction, all live meetings are suspended until the all clear is given by the Mayor.
- All Corey’s Network activities, meetings, vigils, and fundraisers have been canceled. When they resume normal activities, we will pass them on to you. The Mission of Corey’s Network is to provide immediate services to families surviving homicide. See Corey’s Network on Facebook or their website, coreysnetwork.org. Corey’s Network assists people to learn how to deal with grief, the media, investigation, court, and moving forward after a homicide has occurred.
- May 4, 6 PM, Virtual Speak Out: Black & Incarcerated During Covid-19 will be hosted by Reale Justice Network. Many of us have family, friends and loved ones who are currently incarcerated. It is time to find ways to show up for them. This is a Facebook Live event.
- Demanding Women: Quarantine Conversations About Gun Violence: Elizabeth Warren on Monday, May 4th, Amy Klobuchar on Thursday, May 10th, both at 7 pm. The series will be streamed live from the Everytown for Gun Safety Facebook page.
- Missourians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty will have their May meeting by ZOOM on TUES, May 5th from 6:30 – 8 PM. Contact MADP on Facebook for more information.
- EmpowerMissouri’s Smart Sentencing Coalition (SSC) is comprised of organizations and individuals all working towards a Missouri that is smart on crime instead of tough on crime. All are welcome to join the coalition, You can join the call this week FRI, May 8, 11 AM. More info at EmpowerMissouri.org. Please dial (929)205-6099 and use access code 194570677# to join the call!
- Moms Demand Action – KS Wyandotte County Virtual Meeting will be SAT May 9th, 10 AM – Noon this is an online/conference call. Go to momsdemandaction.org to RSVP. You can join the virtual meeting on Zoom from your home.
- Saturday MAY 9, 12 – 2 PM Black Mamas Bailout, Love WINS Protest Parade & Love Rally hosted by Reale Justice Network Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 12 PM – 2 PM, Kansas City, Missouri. You can join a parade to celebrate Black Mamas who have faced incarceration and are making their way back into the community. Go to Reale Justice on Facebook for more information.
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines are available at lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com. It is updated daily.
Please take care of yourselves and others. Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well!