Host Elisa Breitenbach speaks with Kim Hart, the Director of The National Child Abuse Defense & Resource Center (NCADRC), a non-profit organization of volunteers dedicated to preserving the rights of those falsely accused of child abuse through education.
Protecting children from harm is an important and noble goal, however the current method used to achieve that goal is in crisis. The resulting effects on children and families can be devastating. Reports continue to show cases of overwhelmed child protective systems across the country losing track of the huge number of children they have removed from their homes for suspected abuse. By the time the youth are located, many have spent years in a far worse situation than the one from which they were removed.
NCADRC strives for the day that the agencies responsible for investigating abuse and neglect claims are REQUIRED to remain unbiased and accountable for their actions. This accountability will allow them to better manage their resources so they can successfully protect children from real abuse while not traumatizing innocent children and families because of false allegations of child abuse.
Kim Hart has been an international advocate for the falsely accused and has appeared on over 100 talk and radio shows.
We will play the Calendar at the half hour of our program and play the 420 Drug War News at the end of the program.
Calendar for the week of May 18th:
In compliance with the latest version of Mayor Lucas’s emergency order allows for certain business activities to resume while ensuring necessary public health measures remain in place. See the FAQS at kcmo.gov.
- If Arkie’s execution is allowed to proceed, please join the KC Chapter of MADP for an Execution Watch, keeping appropriate social distance and wearing a mask: 4 to 5 PM at 39th and Troost, on TUES May 19 or join a Virtual Vigil at Bonne Terre, conducted by MADP-HQ and “Death Penalty Action” (a national group) at 5:PM.
- Kansas Appleseed will host an online event with LIVE Q+A., offering a status update on the 2020 Census, which began in mid-March, just as COVID-19 was declared a global pandemic. English event: 2 PM, Wednesday, May 20th, next Spanish event: TBD. Participate via Facebook Live at Kansas Appleseed.
- The KC chapter of Mothers in Charge, Healing Support Group has had a Thursday meeting from 5-7 PM. This group is for people who have lost loved ones to murder and violence. For more information you can find them on the web at kcmothersincharge.org, on Facebook, or call them at 816-912-2601.
- More2 is calling all young adults to enjoy a virtual zoom Happy Hour and talk about politics, social justice, and public policy issues! THURS May 21, 5:30 PM contact More2 for access information.
- THURS May 21st, Rigged: The Voter Suppression Playbook: 7 PM. KKFI 90.1 FM, ACLU of Kansas, Missouri Jobs with Justice, Heartland Labor Forum and Rigged: The Voter Suppression Playbook asks us to join for a virtual viewing of Rigged, followed by a Panel Discussion to focus no local actions. More info at kkfi.org.
- Willow Domestic Violence 24 Hour Hotline is 785 843-3333.
- Thursday, May 21st is a panel on BLACK WOMEN’S HEALTH: HIV, IPV, & THE CRIMINAL LEGAL SYSTEM 3:30 – 5:00 PM Zoom meeting, register in advance at EmpowerMissouri.org
- SAT May 23rd 1- 3 PM Nuestra Voz – Rise up event hosted by Latino Foundation for the Arts and Latinx Education Collaborative This is a virtual event, tickets at Eventbrite.
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines are available at lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com. It is updated daily.
Please take care of yourselves and others. Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well! The pandemic is forcing a reset button in the criminal justice system. When the pandemic ends, we may find that we have a new normal. The old normal seems to be fading fast.
JoJ wants our listeners to know we appreciate each and every one of you. A crisis on the scale of the pandemic can reorder society in dramatic ways, for better or worse. All of society pays a heavy price for decades of failing to create a rational system of health care that works for all of us. Please take care.
Please listen next week for our Memorial Day show.