On Monday, 2/10, at 9 AM, host Elisa Breitenbach is back for a discussion with Teresa Woody, Litigation Director, and Christina Ostmeyer, Communications and Digital Advocacy Director of Kansas Appleseed. Kansas Appleseed is a nonprofit network of 17 Centers across the U.S. and Mexico, dedicated to advancing justice and opportunities that help low-income people and working families have better lives. We will be discussing the lawsuit that has been filed for Kansas children in foster care. The class action lawsuit was filed November 16, 2018 by Kansas Appleseed, Children’s Rights, the National Center for Youth Law, and attorney Lori Burns-Bucklew against Governor Jeff Colyer and the officials responsible for the Kansas Department for Children and Families, Kansas Dept. of Health and Environment, and Kansas Dept. for Aging and Disability Services. The National Center for Youth Law and Children’s Rights contends Kansas violates foster children’s civil rights by moving them too often, adding to their trauma and restricting their access to necessary mental health treatment. Children in Kansas foster care face extreme housing instability—sometimes moved more than 50 or 100 times—and are deprived of critical mental health assessments and services. Tune in!
During the show, you will hear our programmers ask supporters of Jaws of Justice Radio to call in or email to show us your support. We are all volunteers. Still, KKFI must broadcast the signal that reaches our listeners and that costs money. We want to keep Jaws of Justice strong! Help us, please, and you can do this by phoning the toll free number:
Or use the online donation page:
Thank You Gifts for this drive can be viewed at:
Thank you so much. We hope to hear from you on Monday.
Calendar of Events for the week of 2-10-20:
- Corey’s Network will have their weekly meeting with a Survivors’ Workshop on Monday February 10th, from 6 – 8 PM at the Church of the 4 Corners – The City House, 14300 E. US HWY 40, Independence, MO. The church is east of the HyVee on 40 highway. Corey’s Network asks us to please join their weekly meetings to learn how to deal with grief, the media, investigation, court, and moving forward after a homicide has occurred. This is a workshop, not a grief group. Please include only those individuals mature enough in age to deal with issues being covered during the meeting. Check their website: coreysnetwork.org or phone 816-866-7868.
- The MORE² Kansas Clergy Kansas Clergy Caucus will be Mon, February 10, from 9:00 – 10:30 AM at Colonial Church in Prairie Village, 7039 Mission Rd, Prairie Village, KS. Contact McDonald@more2.org for more information.
- Too many Kansans are caught in systems that perpetuate poverty and inequality – but Kansas Appleseed says we can be a part of changing that. They have organized a Justice for All Kansas Lobby Day on Tues, February 11 from 10 AM – 3 PM at the Kansas State Capitol (300 SW 10th), Topeka. No experience is necessary, breakfast and lunch will be provided. For more info on the issues, see Kansas Lobby Day on facebook.
- Tues February 11 there is Know Your Rights Training: 6 PM, Grandview Park Presbyterian, 1613 Wilson Blvd, KCKS. AmnestyKC Tenemos el honor de contar con las abogadas Andrea Martinez y Megan Galicia (del bufete Martinez Immigration) para informarnos de nuestros derechos en el empleo, en nuestro hogar, y en el público. También nos darán información de cambios en las leyes.
- WED February 12, 7:30 PM, there is a panel discussion on the topic of DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) and the Supreme Court. Panelists are Alejandra Hernandez-Castro (Program Coordinator, Heartland CAMP scholarship program at KU), Lua Kamal Yuille (Assoc. Professor KU Law) and Lydia Diebolt (Centro Hispano) at the Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vermont, Lawrence KS.
- ACLU of Missouri Lobby Day in Jefferson City MO. See at http://aclu-mo.org
- WED 2/12 there will be a screening of After Parkland: 7 PM, at the 21c Museum Hotel, 219 W 9th St, KCMO, as part of a nationwide Day of Action to commemorate the second anniversary of the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting. Only 90 seats are available. Go to facebook to reserve your seat.
- WED 2/12 Kansas Coalition Against Sexual and Domestic Violence Advocacy Day 2020 will be 8 AM – 4 PM, at the KS State Capitol, 300 SW 10th St, Topeka KS. Statistics prove that sexual and domestic violence impacts someone you know.
- SAT 2/15 DACA Renewal Clinic: appointment necessary email@example.com