Jaws of Justice programmer Keith Brown El will have a talk with Clifford Miller, an inmate at Western Missouri Correctional Center. Clifford believes he is innocent of the charges that hold him in prison, and he will speak on his experience with the criminal “justice” system.
Jaws of Justice Radio Hour will have a re-play of our show with Qadhafi, aka James Shelby, who has been incarcerated in Missouri for over 22 years. While inside, Qadhafi was active with the NAACP prison branches and he helped found the Missouri chapter of IWW’s Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee (IWOC). Since his release last year, Qadhafi has continued to be a leader in the struggle. He worked with KC Tenants to pass legislation that prevents landlords from discriminating against felons in housing. He founded his own non-profit – HugYoHood. He has worked as a community advocate for Elad Gross’s campaign for Attorney General of Missouri. Stay tuned to hear us talk with Qadhafi about his activism, contributions and insights to the movement as a formerly incarcerated person.
Calendar for the week of April 6th:
In compliance with the local instruction, all live meetings are suspended until the all clear is given by the Mayor.
- Usually, Corey’s Network would have their weekly meeting with a Survivors’ Workshop on Monday, from 6 – 8 PM at the Church of the 4 Corners – The City House, 14300 E. US HWY 40, Independence, MO. The church is east of the HyVee on 40 highway. Corey’s Network has a weekly meeting to learn how to deal with grief, the media, investigation, court, and moving forward after a homicide has occurred. See Corey’s Network on Facebook or their website, coreysnetwork.org.
- The Criminal Justice Task Force hopes everyone is staying safe during the Covid-19 pandemic. They will have a conference call type meeting for this April on Monday, 4/6 at 6:45 PM. If you have any questions or concerns about what is going on or want to get updates on legislation, please call in at 605)313-5573 and when prompted enter access code 454-777. You may hear music before you are connected. This is a free call unless your cellphone plan says otherwise. You can use home phones. For information contact Robin Johnson at 816-522-4081 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Missourians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty will have their April meeting by email on TUES, April 7 from 6:30 – 8 PM. Go to MADPMO.org for contact information.
- Moms Demand Action – Johnson County KS: Virtual Meeting will be THURS April 9th from 6:30 – 8 PM. This is an online/conference call – from your own home go to Go to momsdemandaction.org to RSVP.
- Moms Demand Action – KS Wyandotte County Virtual Meeting will be SAT April 11th, 10 AM – Noon this is an online/conference call. Go to momsdemandaction.org to RSVP. You can join the virtual meeting on Zoom from your home. They will train and discuss phone banking and the upcoming elections. You can bring your favorite ideas for self-care. All are welcome, mothers and others!
- Next MON, 4/13, Mothers of Incarcerated Sons and Daughters will have an online meeting. If you have a loved one that is incarcerated and need advice and support MISD has members that may be able to help. Go to misdkc.org for more information.
- reminding you that these events and more can be found on the Jaws of Justice Radio Facebook page as well