On our program for July 24th, host David Bell will speak with Maria Parker, Author of “Do Tough”, and CEO of Cruz Bike. This episode will be part 4 of the Empathy Series. And their topic is – how can we put ourselves into someone else’s shoes when we cannot fully grasp their life experience?
David and Maria speak about her new book that combines cycling, empathy and perseverance.
Maria’s new book – Do Tough: What Race Across America and My Sister’s Brain Cancer Taught Me about Endurance and How to Do Hard Things – is available at booksellers everywhere. Do Tough is the heart-pumping story of Maria Parker’s unlikely win of the 2013 Race Across America.
What sets Do Tough apart is the way Parker intertwines the themes of hope, resilience, and perseverance with the story of her sister Jenny’s illness and the epic race. The result is a book that is both encouraging and resonant, offering readers a message of hope and a roadmap for dealing with the challenges that life can throw our way.
We will play our calendar at the midpoint of the hour.
Please listen to hear an hour about the founding of Cruzbike, the world’s top recumbent road bicycle company. Maria and David will share road-tested insights on habit-formation, team-building, leadership, and visualization,
On Jaws of Justice, we examine how to find justice in our society. Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.
calendar for the week of July 24th:
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri can provide free civil legal services to low-income and vulnerable people who live in Jackson CTY MO. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- For info about Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense meetings this week, you can go to https://momsdemandaction.org/events/. All are welcome, mothers and others.
- Please check the calendar at https://more2.org/ for events you can attend.
- MON, July 24th, 1:30 Bond Reduction hearing for Sean Tonkin at Division 29 of the 16th Circuit Court of Jackson County Missouri, in the Albert Riederer Community Justice Complex, 1315 Locust Street – 2nd Floor, Kansas City, Missouri. Please see Latarha Smith Carnes’ Facebook live event posted on the Jaws of Justice Radio page with regards to the prosecution of the July 4, 2023 stabbing of Mr. Jon Rones, Jr.
- TUES, July 25th, NOON, Plan to join Missourians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty in Jefferson City to urge Governor Parson to grant clemency for #Johnny Johnson! Gather at Missouri State Capitol Rotunda, 201 West Capitol Ave, Jefferson City MO. For Carpooling or more info: you can go to https://www.madpmo.org/ #KillingTuesday
- THURS, July 27th, Integrated Voter Engagement Training with More². Integrated Voter Engagement (IVE) is a strategy that helps build an organization’s capacity to engage historically underrepresented populations in policy, systems change, and the democratic process within and beyond election cycles. Session 4: Canvassing, will introduce participants to canvassing as an approach to build relationships and trust with voters (and potential voters). These conversations surface hopes and dreams alongside community challenges—with the goal of changing hearts and motivating people to participate. Contact [email protected] if interested in registering.
- THURS, July 27th, 7 PM, Greater Kansas City Women’s Political Caucus July Membership Meeting to bring in Executive Director of the *newly* rebranded Abortion Action Missouri, Mallory Schwarz (she/her), to chat about what the hell is going on. Dig deep into the ballot process itself, where those abortion policies are in the process as of now, and how to continue to work together to address the intentionally biased Missouri legislature. This is an Online event hosted by GKC Women’s Political Caucus. Register through EventBrite to ensure that you receive a Zoom link for the virtual meeting! https://www.eventbrite.com/…/gkcwpc-july-membership…
- SAT, July 29th, 10 AM – 4 PM, Penny Mill’s Community Empowerment Event will be in Spring Valley Park, East 28th Street and Spring Valley Drive, Kansas City, MO.
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines are available at https://lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com/. The list is updated daily.
Please take care of yourselves and others. Thanks for listening to Jaws of Justice.