Veronica’s Voice helps victims of the sex trafficking trade in the Kansas City area. Lucy will talk about the fear that victims have in the criminal justice system as victims and witnesses in the courtroom.
Sadly, there has been no end to sex trafficking. Gladly, advocacy organizations like Veronica’s Voice provide high quality services to address sex trafficking and they work tirelessly to see it end.
We’ll play our calendar at the midpoint of the hour.
During the second half of our hour, host Melvin Merritt speaks with Shawn Taylor, a local singer and speaker he met at a recent United for PeaceKC. Shawn was a featured speaker/performer.
She is a professional singer and stage play performer with a strong emphasis in song presentation. Melvin Merritt was very impressed with her and we are glad to have her on Jaws of Justice.
On Jaws of Justice, we examine how to find justice in our society. Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.
Calendar for the week of April 4th:
If you haven’t been vaccinated yet, you can find a vaccine. See the FAQS at https://www.kcmo.gov
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri can provide free legal assistance to low-income and vulnerable Jackson County homeowners who fall behind on their payments and face foreclosure. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- You can find Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense events at https://momsdemandaction.org/events/. Open to all, Mothers and others!
- MON, April 4th , NOON, through THUR, April 7th, 1 PM, is EmpowerMissouri’s and MISD 2022 week of action. You can spend one hour with at lunchtime (12PM-1PM) learning about a key piece of Missouri legislation and how YOU can influence its path in Jefferson City. Together, we will take virtual actions with big impact to advance evidenced-based public policies to address poverty in Missouri. We’ll focus on a different topic every day–so sign up for the full week, or just for one or two days! MON, Criminal Justice Day of Action, WED, Food Security Day of Action, THURS, Affordable Housing Day of Action.
To register for these, go to https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeGoU-k0i3nvnm40FkWSbvFKMWRl1_rAVpujqCXqkcL3sxMng/viewform?emci=54d8b56f-08aa-ec11-997e-281878b83d8a&emdi=07193d57-0caa-ec11-997e-281878b83d8a&ceid=3228749 More info at https://empowermissouri.org/events/empower-missouri-week-of-action/
- MON, April 4th, 6:45 PM KCCJTF has been meeting via conference call if you would like to join in, you can call 605-313-5573 and when asked for code then enter 454777
- TUES, April 5th, 6:30 PM, 50 Years of the February Sisters, a live event at the KU Union, Centennial Room, 1301 Jayhawk Blvd, Lawrence KS, featuring Robin Morgan, national feminist activist and author, on a panel of members of the original February Sisters, who occupied the East Asian Studies building at the University of Kansas for thirteen hours in a peaceful protest asking for childcare, health care and jobs for women.
- WED, April 6th and THURS, April 7th, KC Police Chief Listening Sessions, more info at https://www.facebook.com/CoreysNetwork.org
- FRI, April 8th, 11 AM, is EmpowerMissouri’s Criminal Justice Coalition virtual meeting, access info at https://empowermissouri.org/events/
- SAT, April 9th, 11 AM , KU Powwow & Indigenous Cultural Festival 2022 at the Lied Center, 1600 Stewart Dr, Lawrence KS. A free family-friendly event welcomes all to come together to enrich our community, share experiences, make connections, and learn more about the traditions, cultural heritage, and present-day legacies related to the Ingenious People of North America. More info available at https://fnsapowwow.ku.edu/
- SAT, April 9th at Noon, Mothers of Incarcerated Sons & Daughters, MISDKC, meets at the Plexpod Westport Commons to offer information about state/federal criminal justice systems, support/advocacy for self and the incarcerated, legislative bills, lobby for laws/reforms, events, self-help, community news and actions are shared and much more. Many leave feeling empowered, not alone and overwhelmed. They invite everyone affected by incarceration or who wants to be an Advocate for Justice.
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines are available at https://lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com/. It is updated daily.
Please take care of yourselves and others. Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well!