On January 23, 2023, host Bev Livingston will speak with Mary Taylor, founder of the nonprofit 3 Quarters of the Way Done.
Mary Taylor graduated from college and worked for the federal government. She resigned when charged with misuse of government funds and spent time in a correctional facility. There, she recognized unmet needs of the women incarcerated with her.
Upon Mary Taylor’s release she began work with incarcerated women to assure that when they are released, they have access to vital forms of identification and other resources that assist them to find housing and jobs.
We’ll play the calendar in the middle of our hour.
For the second half of our hour, we will broadcast some of the September 1, 2022 episode of Black Agenda Radio. Black Agenda Radio, produced by Reggie Johnson, provides news, commentary, and analysis from a Black Left perspective.
In this segment there is discussion of policing, the incarceration system that it feeds, and how the political duopoly works to protect what is called criminal justice. The city of Atlanta is poised to spend millions of dollars to build a police training facility which has come to be known as Cop City. The America Police Foundation believes the plan will build the necessary facilities required to effectively train 21st-century law enforcement agencies responsible for public safety in a major urban city.
Curiously so far, the actions of police, including but not limited to the recent shooting death of an Atlanta Activist dedicated to saving the Atlanta Forest from destruction by the Cop City complex, resemble more urban warfare than public safety. Who is going to be kept safe from heavily armored and weaponized inner city police forces?
On Jaws of Justice, we examine how to find justice in our society. Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.
Calendar for the week of January 23rd:
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri can provide free civil legal services to low-income and vulnerable people who live in Jackson CTY MO. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- For Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense virtual meetings this week, go to https://momsdemandaction.org/events/. All are welcome, mothers and others.
- MON, Jan. 23rd, 6:30 PM, there is a virtual webinar titled Abortion Bans Violate Church-State separation. Access info is here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfi-x3cyuyHZywrmll-ipSypxPEYYJfrLuzYNraxS40q67Rfg/viewform and on our Facebook page
- Jan. 25th, 6 PM, a virtual event, Community First Solutions presents The State of Reparations. Access info is here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Q-0o9qWJR066aeiyRUbKDQ
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines are available at https://lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com/. The list is updated daily.
Please take care of yourselves and others. Thanks for listening to Jaws of Justice.