Jaws of Justice Radio Investigates how to achieve justice in America. On December 14th, host Keith Brown El speaks with Michael Silas, an inmate at Western Missouri Correctional Center. Michael Silas has now served over 30 years on a life without possibility of parole sentence. Michael contends he was falsely charged as the shooter in the homicide case that resulted in his incarceration. We hope you will listen as Michael Silas speaks to Keith Brown El about his experience.
After the calendar, in the second half of our hour, host Melvin Merritt speaks with Christine McDonald, founder of Christine’s Vision. Christine is an internationally recognized author, speaker and consultant known for her unique ability to construct conversations and ignite change for under-served and marginalized populations. She experienced two decades of homelessness, addiction, human trafficking, commercial sexual exploitation, 103 arrests and 7 prison stints. She has found her way out by using her lived experience as a tool to break stigmas and construct conversations for change.
We hope you will listen.
“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.”
Calendar for the week of December 14th:
In compliance with the latest version of Mayor Lucas’s emergency order, certain business activities may resume while ensuring necessary public health measures remain in place. See the FAQS at kcmo.gov.
- MON, Dec 14th, Monday Meets: 4 PM, an online event hosted by Willow Domestic Violence Center. Get to know the Willow, access at Facebook Live. Willow Domestic Violence Center 24 Hour Hotline is 785) 843-3333.
- WED, Dec. 16th, 6:00 PM, Why Can’t We All Just Get Along? Hosted by Reale Justice KC and the Latinx Community. See Facebook for access info.
- THURS, Dec. 17, 6 PM an online event Immigration Under a New Administration on Facebook Live hosted by Manny for Kansas City, Voz KC and Cosecha KC
- FRI, Dec 18th, 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM Smart Sentencing Coalition. Access info at https://empowermissouri.org/events/
- FRI, Dec. 18th noon – 1:30 PM, Empower Missouri’s Friday Forum will be via Zoom, a panel will discuss with you Re-Envisioning Public Safety. Access info at https://empowermissouri.org/events/
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines specific to sheltering are available at lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com. It is updated daily.
Please tune in next week!
Stay safe. Practice physical distancing. Wash your hands. Please take care of yourself and others. Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well! A crisis on the scale of the pandemic can reorder society in dramatic ways, for better or worse. All of society pays a heavy price for decades of failing to create a rational system of health care that works for all of us.