Since the recent passing of Hedy Harden, we continue to celebrate her history. Hedy was the Chair of Missouri CURE (Citizens United for the Rehabiliation of Errants). One of the reasons for Hedy’s notable accomplishments is the unabashed need for advocacy for those in Missouri’s jails and prisons AND for those who have been released after incarceration.
America has more people per capita incarcerated, by a large margin, than any other nation on the planet. The land of the free is anything but, and the number of falsely convicted has become apparent. Further, our economy loves the Prison Industrial Complex that preys on the lives and income of mainly the poor, legally enslaving inmates and financially and emotionally enslaving their families as well. Many families must mortgage their present and future to help their loved ones survive behind bars and gain their release.
There is a growing call from activism on the part of prisoners and family to demand changes because the Corrections Industry does little to nothing to rehabilitate and instead is making the problem worse. MOCURE will help you understand how the Justice System has been subverted from protecting our communities from crime to making us more unsafe and our communities less viable.
We will play two pieces about MOCURE, first, you can listen to Hedy Harden’s address to the September 2015 Missouri CURE annual convention. She speaks about the killing of Michael Brown by Ferguson Missouri police. In her reasonable delivery of unreasonable facts, she makes a meaningful point about the need for advocacy in the face of what policing had become. Next, we will hear Keith Brown El, co-Chair of MOCURE during an April, 2022 comment to Missouri Legislators at the Capitol.
For the second part of our hour, host Melvin Merritt will speak with Andre Harris of Dad’s Against Crime. They are working with guys coming out of prison to get them employment and to help them adjust to life on the outside and more. Their mission is to provide the men in our community a safe space where they are able to better themselves mentally, emotionally, and financially.
Dad’s Against Crime closed their office for August to do some reorganization but they will be opening back up. Stay tuned for the details!
We bring you vital information underserved or ignored by mainstream media. We pride ourselves on digging in and sharing the issues that entertain and inform our listeners by providing a curated, unique and independent voice.
On Jaws of Justice, we examine how to find justice in our society. Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.
Calendar for the week of August 8th:
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri provides free civil legal services to low-income and vulnerable people in Jackson CTY Missouri. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America is a very active group of Mothers and others. You can learn where their virtual meetings this week will occur at https://momsdemandaction.org/events/
- THURS JoCo Moms August Meeting: 6:30 PM, Shawnee Mission UU Church, 9400 Pflumm, Lenexa KS While welcoming new and active members they will focus on Election Work to help elect gun sense candidates and the important Be SMART Program to help spread this message.
MON, August 8th 6 PM, online More2 monthly issues 2 action meeting, online at https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88369770697?pwd=vFiXUA9s_9UJrx6fEAmOCS9TuGZHpt.1 This meeting is virtual. For more details, contact [email protected]
- SAT, August 13th, NOON, possibly it will be the Mothers of Incarcerated Sons and Daughters, monthly session. This is your chance to offer information about state/federal criminal justice systems, support/advocacy for self and the incarcerated, legislative bills, lobby for laws/reforms, self-help, community news and actions are shared and much more. Many leave feeling empowered, not alone and overwhelmed. This might be at Plexpod Westport Commons centrally located on busline, easy to find at 300 E. 39th St KCMO (Annex A) meeting room with convenient parking and much more. Contact https://misdkc.org/ for info.
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines specific to sheltering are available at https://lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com/ It is updated daily.
Stay safe. Thanks to our engineer. Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well! A crisis on the scale of the pandemic can reorder society in dramatic ways, for better or worse. All of society pays a heavy price for decades of failing to create a rational system of health care that works for all of us.