Jaws of Justice host Margot Patterson has assembled a live panel for a lively and honest discussion of the question on Kansas City Missouri Police Department funding.
Margot will speak with guests Ryan Sorrell of Black Rainbow, Ken Novak, Professor of Criminology at UMKC, and David Bell of WHM, a local criminal defense attorney. Margot, along with Craig Lubow and Terri Wilke, regular hosts on Jaws of Justice, will ask questions of the panel.
Ryan Sorrell is a co-founder of Black Rainbow, a community organization dedicated to the liberation of all oppressed peoples. Black Rainbow is a Black-centered, multiracial collective that advocates for racial justice. They have been active in organizing to end the carceral systems of policing and prisons.
Ken Novak’s research and teaching focuses on issues related to policing in the United States and crime prevention strategies, and he has published scientific research articles on racial profiling, the exercise of police discretion, and citizens’ attitudes toward the police.
David Bell is a top-rated criminal defense attorney. His mantra is helping good people navigate a bad situation. David has significant experience in criminal matters at the local, state and federal level. Combining his desire to help people with his love of the law, David was a trial attorney with the Missouri Public Defender’s System in Jackson County, Missouri. After representing thousands of clients in matters ranging from misdemeanor assault to first degree murder, Mr. Bell joined Wyrsch Hobbs & Mirakian, P.C. in 2007.
By the time of the 21st Century, our construct of policing has given rise to social activism against police violence and the disproportional rate that persons of color are subjected to it. We have played this issue on our show numerous times:
We’ll play our calendar at the midpoint of the hour.
TUNE IN TO KKFI 90.1 FM https://kkfi.org/listen/
“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.”
Calendar for the week of July 12th:
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri provides free civil legal services to low-income and vulnerable people. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America is a very active group of Mothers and others. You can learn where their virtual meetings this week will occur at https://momsdemandaction.org/events/
- MON, July 12th, 6 PM, More² June Issues2Action Meeting, you can join, online via zoom. There will be breakout groups by issue task force for both Missouri and Kansas teams. Register to attend at More² on Facebook or https://more2.org/events/
- THURS, July 15th, 4 PM Domestic Violence Support Group is an Online event. Free and confidential. Connect with other survivors in the community to build skills for Positive Parenting and Healthy Relationships Discuss topics like gaslighting, power & control, boundary setting, and the cycle of abuse. Email Martha for more details: [email protected]
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines specific to sheltering are available at lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com. It is updated daily.
Stay safe. Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well!