Jaws of Justice hosts Terri Wilke and Keith Brown El speak with guests Spencer Graves, a host of RadioActive Magazine on KKFI and Khadijah Hardaway, who works with Tommy Simmons, a man many have heard from about the Kansas City Police Department.
Our discussion will center on the July 2021 letter addressed to US Attorney General Merrick Garland and signed by representatives of the Urban League – KC, the National Black United Front KC, the NAACP – KC, the Southern Christian Leadership Conference – KC, and the Urban Summit.
The letter asks the US Department of Justice to do a civil rights investigation of the KCPD because of numerous incidents of deadly force, serious bodily injury, excessive force and false arrest. The time span 2013 through 2021. These issues in KC have been simultaneous to the police killing of Michael Brown in Ferguson MO, then George Floyd in Minnesota and the rise of the Black Lives Matter movement.
We believe we can continue to have police, that policing is necessary to our society and that we can do a better job. Particularly if we examine ourselves for ingrained racial stereotypes and continue the work toward an equalitarian society.
We hope you TUNE IN TO KKFI 90.1 FM https://kkfi.org/listen/
On Jaws of Justice, we investigate how to achieve justice in America.
“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.”
Calendar for the week of Oct. 11th:
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri provides free civil legal services to low-income and vulnerable people in Jackson CTY Missouri. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America is a very active group of Mothers and others. You can learn where their virtual meetings this week will occur at https://momsdemandaction.org/events/
- MON, Oct. 11th, 3 PM, get to know the Willow on Facebook live, sponsored by the Willow Domestic Violence Center.
- MON, Oct. 11th, 6 PM, is a More² Issues2Action Meeting, you can join, online via zoom. There will be breakout groups by issue task force for both Missouri and Kansas teams. Register to attend at More² on Facebook or https://more2.org/events/
- WED, Oct. 13th, noon, Policy Reforms with the Rotary Clubs of Eastern Kansas, Veronica’s Voice, & Engage Together asks us to join for community conversation and discuss policy reforms focused on restoring victims and thwarting sex trafficking. Register at https://www.veronicasvoice.org/rotary-swarm?utm_campaign=6a2f4a72-a3eb-44da-822f-a4a3603cbd07&utm_source=so&utm_medium=mail&cid=61df96e4-0877-4e9d-91d0-5f7670a22032
- FRI, Oct. 15th, 5:30 PM, 701 7th, KCKS, Rally for Safe and Welcoming Wyandotte, featuring live music from the KC Latin Jazz Orchestra. RSVP at https://www.facebook.com/events/600625997967670?emci=c45ff6b0-6a20-ec11-981f-0050f271a1a2&emdi=2e980add-1f26-ec11-981f-c896653b9208&ceid=24107
- FRI, Oct. 15th, 6 PM is Empower MO’s Friday Forum. They ask us to an evening forum to pre-screen the documentary, Ferguson Rises, and learn how a father still grappling with the loss of his son is trying to make a difference in the world. To register, go to https://empowermissouri.org/
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines specific to sheltering are available at https://lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com/ It is updated daily.
Stay safe. Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well!