Host Terri Wilke speaks with Lucy Bloom, Executive Director of Veronica’s Voice. Veronica’s Voice is a local service organization whose vision is to see all people free from commercial sexual exploitation.
Kristy Childs founded Veronica’s Voice in 2000, in honor of her friend Veronica April Neverdusky. Kristy, who had run away from an abusive home at age 12, saw herself in the young Veronica who had been kicked out of her home for revealing her abuser. Kristy admired Veronica’s courage to stand up to her abuser and put him behind bars.
Veronica’s Voice is dedicated to helping (mostly) women and girls caught in the vicious violent cycle of commercial sexual exploitation. Veronica’s Voice offers a host of services for victims, as well as education, advocacy and legal work to target the demand and avert entry into the cycle of abuse in prostitution.
Next, host Craig Lubow speaks with David Graham, a Kansas criminal defense attorney, about problems with the polygraph test. David talks about the use of the polygraph in the context of criminal investigations and in court and then talks about the polygraph in the context of employment when an applicant applies for employment. David states there is zero scientific basis for the polygraph and explains why it might be best to decline to agree to take the polygraph test at the request of law enforcement officers and/or prospective employers.
Please listen and be open to our message. On Jaws of Justice, we investigate how to achieve justice in America.
TUNE IN TO KKFI 90.1 FM https://kkfi.org/listen/
“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.”
Calendar for the week of September 20th:
KCMO has reinstated an indoor mask mandate – for all persons aged five and older, regardless of vaccination status – in places of public accommodation.If you haven’t been vaccinated yet, you can find a vaccine. See the FAQS at kcmo.gov
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri can provide free civil legal services to low-income and vulnerable people who live in Jackson CTY MO. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- For Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense virtual meetings this week, go to https://momsdemandaction.org/events/. All are welcome, mothers and others.
- The Kansas City Chapter of Missouri Citizens United for the Rehabilitation of Errants has a monthly virtual meeting. MO CURE advocates for the human rights of prisoners in Missouri prisons and jails as well as those who have returned to society. For info call Keith Brown El at 816-377-2873.
- MON September 20th, MON Meets: 3 PM, an Online event hosted by The Willow Domestic Violence Center. On Facebook Live
- TUES, September 21st, 5 – 7 PM, at 3200 Wayne Ave., KCMO, you can join for Survivors Will Heal, a new support group for survivors of gun violence. Contact Latrice Murray at [email protected] or call 816-912-2601 to learn more and register. This group is for people who have lost loved ones to murder and violence. #StoptheViolence
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines are available at blogspot.com. It is updated daily.
Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well!