On our show for January 10, 2022, we will start the hour with a piece by Keith Brown El. Always thought provoking, Keith strives to bring you stories you do not hear from other sources of media.
For the second half of our hour, host Melvin Merritt will speak with Kenisha Clark, mother of Rontarus Washington, Jr. Rontarus was charged with the murder of Altamirano Mosso on Nov. 9, 2014. At that time, Rontarus lived on the same hall of the apartment building where her body was found and there was evidence he had been in the apartment after her death.
He was charged with first-degree murder and aggravated burglary in connection with her death. On Oct. 4, 2019, a jury could not come to a verdict in the case, and a retrial has been pending.
He spent more than five years and five months in custody before his bond was modified and a crowdfunding movement raised $50,000 cash plus collateral to bond him out under home arrest. The Douglas County District Attorney dismissed his charges on December 21, 2021.
We hope you will listen. On Jaws of Justice, we examine how to find justice in our society. Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.
Please tune in https://kkfi.org/listen/
Calendar for the week of Jan. 10th:
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri provides free civil legal services to low-income and vulnerable people in Jackson CTY Missouri. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America is a very active group of Mothers and others. You can learn where their virtual meetings this week will occur at https://momsdemandaction.org/events/
- MON, Jan. 10th, 3 PM, get to know the Willow on Facebook live, sponsored by the Willow Domestic Violence Center.
- MON, Jan 10th, 6 PM, is a More² Issues2Action Meeting, you can join, online via zoom. There will be breakout groups by issue task force for both Missouri and Kansas teams. Register to attend at this link https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUrf-GgqT8iGtBmP1S7EhRO4lCX5ZIHZN8g?emci=f9bf00b7-c96f-ec11-94f6-c896650d923c&emdi=41794607-ca6f-ec11-94f6-c896650d923c&ceid=24107
- MON, Jan 10th, there is a KC premiere showing of Don’t Say My Name, an independent film on human trafficking. There will be several survivors present as well as local organizations who have boots on the ground trying combatting this industry here in KC. See the movie at Kansas City Regal 3200 Ameristar RD, KCMO. You can buy tickets at www.dontsaymyname.com.
- THURS, Jan. 13th, 2 PM, You can join the citizens of Eastern Jackson County MO to demand recall of Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker. Blue Springs Municipal Court Building 1100 SW Smith ST, Blue Springs MO.
- FRI, Jan. 14th, 11 AM, EmpowerMissouri’s Criminal Justice Coalition call, access at https://empowermissouri.org/events/november-26th-criminal-justice-coalition-call/
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines specific to sheltering are available at https://lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com/ It is updated daily.
Stay safe. Practice physical distancing. Wash your hands. Please take care of yourself and others. Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well! A crisis on the scale of the pandemic can reorder society in dramatic ways, for better or worse. All of society pays a heavy price for decades of failing to create a rational system of health care that works for all of us.