For our show on September 14th, Ricky Kidd will be talking to Teresa Wilke. After 23 years of wrongful incarceration, August 15, 2020 was the one-year anniversary of the date Ricky Kidd regained his deserved freedom. To acknowledge this milestone, he embarked on a cross-country tour – Freedom Lap 2020. At each stop, he recorded an event, interview, or met with organizations and press. Freedom Lap 2020 was a Facebook Live event. Ricky shares insight from his days on the road during Freedom Lap 2020 to raise awareness of the important issue of wrongful convictions.
We hope you will be so intrigued by our interview with Ricky Kidd that you indulge in the entire live-streamed event!
During the second half of our program, we replay our 7/20 show when host Pat Bartholome spoke with representatives of the KC Star about a new gun violence initiative.
We hope you will listen.
Calendar for the week of September 14th:
In compliance with the latest version of Mayor Lucas’s emergency order, certain business activities may resume while ensuring necessary public health measures remain in place. See the FAQS at kcmo.gov.
- MON, Sept. 14th 6:30 PM Wyandotte County Virtual Meeting, Online event. Moms Demand Action. All are welcome – mothers and others! More info at act.everytown.org.
- TUES, Sept. 15th, 7 PM, Online event. Dole Institute of Politics, a discussion of three of the most important cases appearing before the Supreme Court this fall, including Jones v Mississippi, on whether juveniles may be imprisoned for life sentences. Access info at https://doleinstitute.org/
- THURS, Sept. 17th 6 – 7 PM, Thunder Thursday, an online event hosted by Metro Organization for Racial and Economic Equity – MORE2 “…it is not light that is needed, but fire; it is not the gentle shower, but thunder.” -Frederick Douglass. Thunder Thursdays are back, but with a twist to online. You can build grassroots power for justice. This week the focus is on connecting and mobilizing with neighbors on issues of policing. Register for the Zoom event at More²on Facebook.
- FRI, Sept 18th , EmpowerMissouri’s Smart Sentencing Coalition Call, 11 AM – noon, access information at https://empowermissouri.org/events/
- FRI, Sept 18th noon – 1:30 PM Empower Missouri Monthly Friday Forum Series – Re-Envisioning Public Safety, Evictions in COVID-19: 300,000 Missouri Families at Risk. Register for the forum at https://empowermissouri.org/events/
- Willow Domestic Violence Center 24 Hour Hotline is 785) 843-3333.
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines specific to sheltering are available at lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com. It is updated daily.
Please tune in next week !
Stay safe. Practice physical distancing. Wash your hands. Please take care of yourself and others.
Please take care of yourselves and others. Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well! A crisis on the scale of the pandemic can reorder society in dramatic ways, for better or worse. All of society pays a heavy price for decades of failing to create a rational system of health care that works for all of us.