Host Terri Wilke will speak with Latahra Smith of KC Freedom Project and Keith Carnes, who was recently released after more than 18 years of wrongful incarceration. Keith Carnes was never a criminal and prison did not turn him into a criminal. I hope you will hear his message, grateful that he now has a chance of life, and grateful for the people who supported him during all these years.
Listeners should be familiar with Latahra Smith and her advocacy on behalf of persons innocent and wrongfully convicted. Because of her careful attention to what has been shown her, Latahra is an instrument for restoring freedom to persons who have been caught up by the criminal justice system. She created the KC Freedom Project, a non-profit organization, in order to do this work.
We’ll play our calendar at the midpoint of the hour.
During the second part of our hour, we will speak with Darryl Burton and Lamonte McIntyre of Miracle of Innocence Project, both wrongfully convicted persons who spent years in prison for crimes they did not commit, one in Missouri and the other in Kansas.
Miracle of Innocence Project is also a not-for-profit corporation dedicated to the investigation, litigation and exoneration of wrongfully convicted people. They work in the five-state region of Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska. Darryl Burton and Lamonte McIntrye are co-founders of Miracle of Innocence Project. They each spent over 10 years in prison for a crimes they did not commit. When was released, they founded Miracle of Innocence Project, which is now in its fourth year.
With nearly two million people behind bars at any given time, the United States has the highest incarceration rate of any country in the world. We spend about $182 billion every year – not to mention the significant social cost – to lock up nearly 1% of our adult population.
On Jaws of Justice, we examine how to find justice in our society. Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.
Calendar for the week of April 25th:
If you haven’t been vaccinated yet, you can find a vaccine. See the FAQS at https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/departments/health/coronavirus
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri can provide free civil legal services to low-income and vulnerable people who live in Jackson CTY MO. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- For Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense virtual meetings this week, go to https://momsdemandaction.org/events/. All are welcome, mothers and others. KS Moms statewide virtual meeting is MON 4-25 7:30 PM on Zoom
- TUES, April 26th is the last day to sign up for Missouri Lobby Day. You can join MADP at the Missouri State Capitol, April 26th, at 1PM CST! More info at https://www.madpmo.org/events
- FRI, April 29th, 7 -9:30 PM, #FLEXFRIDAY, Special Discussion with Mr. Daryl Burton and Lamonte McIntyre, Co-Founders of Miracle of Innocence, and Mr. Kenneth Lambert, Unit Director, BGC Breidenthal Unit, 1240 Troup AVE, KCKS. Open to Boys and Girls aged 10 and up
- SAT, April 30th, 9 AM – 2 PM, More² is providing Leadership Training Listening Training virtually or live at Community Christ Church, 4601 Main, Kansas City MO. Register at https://secure.everyaction.com/pn2k0rJLZk6G214wBy3X9A2
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines are available at https://lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com/. The list is updated daily.
Please take care of yourselves and others.