On January 2, 2023, Jaws of Justice will re-air The Day Room Club by Patty Prewitt, a play that gives you a look into the day-to-day routine at the Women’s Reception, Diagnostic and Correctional Center in Vandalia, MO and which also gives us a lesson in the humanity of those who are incarcerated. Although their lives are regulated 24 hours a day these women still try to find a way to be a part of the important events, sorrowful and joyful of their family and loved ones on the outside. It is in part being deprived of that involvement that brings them together as a family behind bars, their bonds of love and friendship built over time.
The Dayroom Club is a production of Prison Performing Arts out of St Louis and you can find out more information about them below. JoJR premiered the play on radio in November of 2018, a two hour broadcast that included interviews with Patty, Christopher Limber of PPA and Katie Leemon the prisoner who created the recording of the play. You can hear those interviews on the original podcast at – https://kkfi.org/program-episodes/dayroom-club-patty-prewitt-broadcast-premiere-award-winning-play/
Patty has consistently maintained her innocence for 30 plus years and the courts have ignored the violations of her rights and false testimony in her trial. Missouri Governor Michael Parson has failed to consider Patty Prewitt’s request to obtain clemency and she is not eligible for parole until 2036.
Prison Performing Arts
Prison Performing Arts, St. Louis Missouri, produced The Dayroom Club by Patty Prewitt as a radio podcast in 2018 from a workshop cast of inmates at the Women’s Reception, Diagnostic and Correctional Center in Vandalia, MO, (WERDCC) whose stories inspired Ms. Prewitt’s original play. The production was directed by PPA’s Artistic Director Christopher Limber.
Prison Performing Arts is a multi-discipline, literacy and performing arts program that serves incarcerated adults and children at St. Louis City Juvenile Detention Center, Hogan Street Regional Youth Center, Northeast Correctional Center (NECC) in Bowling Green, MO, Women’s Eastern Reception, Diagnostic and Correctional Center (WERDCC) in Vandalia, MO and Missouri Eastern Correctional Center (MECC) in Pacific, MO.
Prison Performing Arts involves incarcerated youth and adults in the performing arts to inspire intellectual curiosity and personal development. We nurture the discipline, teamwork and communication skills necessary for successful re-entry into society. We encourage members of the larger community to connect personally with program participants, and we offer continuing programs for participants who have been released.
We’ll play the calendar in the middle of our hour.
On Jaws of Justice, we examine how to find justice in our society. Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.
Calendar for the week of January 2nd:
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri can provide free legal assistance to low-income and vulnerable Jackson County homeowners who fall behind on their payments and face foreclosure. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- You can find Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense events at momsdemandaction.org. Open to all, Mothers and others!
- SAT, Jan 8th 1 PM is the Moms Demand Action Wyandotte County Volunteer Meeting in person with a zoom option go to https://momsdemandaction.org/events/ to RSVP
- WED, Jan. 4th, 9 AM, Kansas Faith + Democracy table meeting is hosted on Zoom by More², access info at https://more2.org/calendar/
- THURS, Jan. 5th, 5 PM, Community Justice Coalition Meeting is sponsored on Zoom by Empower Missouri. The Community Justice Coalition is a multi-sector team of dedicated advocates who envision a future without mass incarceration. Find the access link at https://empowermissouri.org/events/january-5th-community-justice-coalition-meeting/
- THURS, Jan. 5th, 7:30 PM January First Thursday – Racial Justice and Education meets on Zoom. Sponsored by Showing Up for Racial Justice, KC, find on Facebook
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines are available at lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com. It is updated daily.
Please take care of yourselves and others. Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well!