Host David Bell speaks with Rekha Sharma Crawford, Attorney and Author.
Rekha Sharma-Crawford is an immigration attorney and partner in the Kansas City law firm Sharma-Crawford Attorneys-at-Law. She is nationally recognized for her expertise. Sharma-Crawford regularly practices before the Federal Courts on cases involving affirmative immigration benefits and before the Courts of Appeals in several Circuits. In 2021, she was nationally recognized by the American Immigration Lawyers Association by being awarded the Edith Lowenstein Memorial Award, for excellence in advancing the practice of immigration law. In 2018, the Kansas Bar Association honored Sharma-Crawford with the Courageous Attorney Award, “an award presented from time to time, to attorneys who have displayed exceptional courage in the face of adversity, thus bringing credit to the legal profession.” In 2017, The Missouri Bar Association honored Sharma-Crawford and her law partner with its Pro Bono Publico Award.
Along with having several critical published courts decisions, Sharma-Crawford is also an author and speaker on issues involving immigration law and policy. She is an Elected Director for the AILA Board of Governors, 2019-2023 a member of the Board for the National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild 2020-2023.
And now, she’s written a book!
In 2012, Sharma-Crawford and her husband, who is also her law partner, founded a nonprofit law clinic to provide representation for indigent individuals facing removal in the Kansas City Immigration Court. The Clinic at Sharma-Crawford has helped thousands of clients and for nearly a decade, has provided much-needed low bono and pro bono representation.
On Jaws of Justice, we examine how to find justice in our society. Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.
Calendar for the week of April 18th:
- The Kansas City Chapter of Missouri Citizens United for the Rehabilitation of Errants has a monthly virtual meeting. MO CURE advocates for the human rights of prisoners in Missouri prisons and jails as well as those who have returned to society. For info call Keith Brown El at 816-377-2873.
- WED, April 20th, 7 PM, Advocacy Training with Missourians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty. Please register, the link is on our webpage or Facebook page. https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAsd-yspjwuGdBLvyjim3wGh9LidWi2popw
- FRI, April 22nd, 11 AM, Empower Missouri’s Criminal Justice Coalition is online. Access at https://empowermissouri.org/
- SAT, April 23rd, 8 AM, Have you registered for Pee Wee’s Run, KC Mothers in Charge annual 5K run and walk, beginning at the Bruce R. Watkins Cultural Heritage Center. There’s still time! More info at https://www.facebook.com/kcmothersincharge/
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines are available at https://lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com/
Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well!