Monday, May 9th, Jaws of Justice will play a program which ran on 6-21-21 when Jalen Anderson, 1st District At-Large Jackson CTY Missouri Legislator spoke with Host Bev Livingston about the new KCMO detention center. At that time there had been a recently identified location for Jackson County to build a new detention center.
Since 2018, Jackson County Missouri has been studying the detention center and whether it is best to build a new one and if so, how and where?
The best way to address corrections in our community is to address corrections in our community.
We will play our calendar at the midpoint of our hour.
Next, Host Keith Brown El has prepared a program about a presentation Representative Kimberly-Ann Collins gave on April 12, 2022 about a bill she has presented to the Missouri Legislature. HB 1922, presently in committee, would establish the Department of Corrections Oversight Committee, a 10-member committee. The group would be charged with investigating complaints and collecting data on prisoner deaths, suicides and assaults, among other things.
On Jaws of Justice, we examine how to find justice in our society. Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.
Calendar for the week of May 9th:
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri provides free civil legal services to low-income and vulnerable people in Jackson CTY Missouri. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America is a very active group of Mothers and others. You can learn where their virtual meetings this week will occur at https://momsdemandaction.org/events/ The Missouri statewide meeting is 7:30 PM on THURS, May 12th.
- MON, May 9th, 6 PM, April Issues2Action Night is an online event hosted by MORE2. There will be breakout groups by issue task force for both Missouri and Kansas teams. Register at https://more2.org/
- WED, May 11th, 6:30 Virtual Town Hall hosted by Empower Missouri, Criminal Justice Ministry, the Jewish Community Relations Council of St. Louis, Metropolitan Congregations United, the Missouri Catholic Conference and More2 for a discussion on the Clean Slate Initiative. Register at https://empowermissouri.org/events/town-hall-cs/
- THURS, May 12th, 5 PM is a Town Hall with Roland Martin, host and managing editor for his online show, #RolandMartinUnfiltered, a noted author, and journalist. Please join to discuss the systemic racism within the KCPD and what we as a community can do about it! This event is at Robert J.Mohart Center, 3200 Wayne Ave., Kansas City, MO
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines specific to sheltering are available at https://lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com/ It is updated daily.
Stay safe. Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well! A crisis on the scale of the pandemic can reorder society in dramatic ways, for better or worse. All of society pays a heavy price for decades of failing to create a rational system of health care that works for all of us.