Before becoming Mayor of her hometown of Viroqua, Wisconsin in 2018, Karen Mischel spent 17 years in the Merchant Marines followed by her current occupation as an organic farm inspector.
– Lessons learned in communication from working on the ship;
– The challenges of managing a rural community with new and old residents;
– Why hard conversations are important and non-violent communication is the key in her community;
– Her work on banning herbicide spraying on public places in Viroqua and on leased public agricultural land;
– Her focus on prioritizing clean water, healthy soil, organic farming, and community health;
– Why educating people in the community should be a political responsibility.