Host Terri Wilke speaks with Karla Juarez, Executive Director, and Pastor Rick Behrens, Board Member, of Advocates for Immigrant Rights and Reconciliation, or AIRR, whose mission is to educate, organize, and inspire our Kansas City community to advocate for immigrant rights.
Advocates for Immigrant Rights and Reconciliation (AIRR) recognizes and is working tirelessly to keep families together and end the humanitarian crisis our immigrant community is facing. All people, no matter where they were born, deserve a chance at a safe and dignified life. AIRR is committed to empower and uplift the voices of the immigrant community and provide them with the tools they need to better protect themselves and their families.
AIRR reconoce y está trabajando incansablemente para mantener a las familias unidas y poner fin a la crisis humanitaria que enfrenta nuestra comunidad de inmigrantes. Creemos que todas las personas, sin importar dónde nacieron, merecen la oportunidad de una vida segura y digna. AIRR se compromete a empoderar y elevar las voces de la comunidad inmigrante y brindarles las herramientas que necesitan para protegerse mejor a sí mismos y a sus familias.
Please listen and learn about an organization as vital and essential as AIRR.
Next, host Margot Patterson will speak with DeRay McKesson, Co-Founder of Campaign Zero, a project dedicated to ending police and state violence.
Campaign Zero’s data-informed platform presents a package of policy solutions to end police violence in America. It integrates community demands and policy recommendations from research organizations and President Obama’s Task Force on 21st Century Policing. Together, we will win.
DeRay McKesson has been documenting the events of the movement via twitter and he is the Founder and Co-Editor of the Ferguson Protestor Newsletter. He is an activist, organizer, and educator focusing primarily on issues impacting children, youth, and families. He previously worked for the Harlem Children’s Zone and The New Teacher Project; opened an academic enrichment center in West Baltimore, and with Baltimore City Public Schools and Minneapolis Public Schools leading systemic human capital change.
On Jaws of Justice, we investigate how to achieve justice in America.
We hope you will listen.
“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.”
Calendar for the week of August 16th:
KCMO has reinstated an indoor mask mandate – for all persons aged five and older, regardless of vaccination status – in places of public accommodation. If you haven’t been vaccinated yet, you can find a vaccine. See the FAQS at kcmo.gov
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri can provide free civil legal services to low-income and vulnerable people who live in Jackson CTY MO. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- For Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense virtual meetings this week, go to https://momsdemandaction.org/events/. All are welcome, mothers and others.
- The Kansas City Chapter of Missouri Citizens United for the Rehabilitation of Errants has a monthly virtual meeting. MO CURE advocates for the human rights of prisoners in Missouri prisons and jails as well as those who have returned to society. For info call Keith Brown El at 816-377-2873.
- MON August 16th, MON Meets: 3 PM, an Online event hosted by The Willow Domestic Violence Center. On Facebook Live
- TUES, August 17th, 5 – 7 PM, at 3200 Wayne Ave., KCMO, you can join for Survivors Will Heal, a new support group for survivors of gun violence. Contact Latrice Murray at [email protected] or call 816-912-2601 to learn more and register. This group is for people who have lost loved ones to murder and violence. #StoptheViolence
- THURS, August 19th, 5 – 7 PM, Hope & Healing Support Group will be Journaling to Heal with Dr. Donald Lang #WeWillAlwaysRememberThem #StoptheViolence They will meet at the Robert J Mohart Multipurpose Center, Suite 124 W, 3200 Wayne Ave, KCMO. KC Mothers in Charge is for people who have lost loved ones to murder and violence. For more information you can find them on Facebook at KCMothersinChargeKC or call them at 816-912-2601.
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines are available at blogspot.com. It is updated daily.
Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well!