What is a public service announcement (PSA)?
KKFI airs PSAs as part of our mission to serve our listeners and community. PSAs submitted to KKFI for consideration should have information that is of direct relevance and benefit to listeners in our broadcast area. Messages should not include controversial, issue-oriented, or self-serving material. KKFI reserves the right to determine which PSAs will be selected for broadcast. PSAs will be scheduled based on limited airtime availability; particularly when there’s a higher volume of submissions, not all PSAs submitted for consideration will be broadcast.
Note: KKFI is under no obligation to air PSAs. They are offered as a service to our community and are subject to our discretion.
KKFI is unable to determine in advance how often, if, or when your PSA will air. Because PSAs are a free service, KKFI is obligated to fulfill orders for paid underwriting announcements first. To learn more about the community benefits of underwriting, or to establish guaranteed announcements during specified times, please see our Community Marketing page or contact our Community Marketing Representative.
PSAs are 30 seconds in length and may run in the form of pre-recorded announcements produced by the requester or by KKFI, community calendar announcements, and live-read scripts. They are kept in rotation for no more than two weeks, and generally do not air during KKFI’s on-air fund drives.
- KKFI welcomes PSAs for the following:
- Concerts and other musical events;
- Cultural, educational, environmental, civic, pet, weather recovery, and health-related events that, in our judgment, have an affinity with our community, audience, and the common good;
- Fundraising events (to the extent of FCC regulations) which, in our judgment, have an affinity with our community, audience, education, and the common good.
KKFI will carefully consider, but may not accept, PSAs for the following:
- Events that have narrow appeal to a small or specialized constituency (e.g., high school reunions, meetings of astrophysicists);
- Religious events, excluding concerts and other non-religious events at churches, synagogues, and other religious venues, or temporary relocation of services;
- Routine or regular meetings of an organization.
Due to Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations, no political announcements will be accepted.
KKFI does not air PSAs for commercial events, or other events where there is an emphasis on “selling” or “bidding””, including silent auctions, yard sales, bake sales, artist markets and craft fairs. We also do not air PSAs for membership-only events, car washes, or lost animals.
PSAs for non-profit organizations cannot include a solicitation for funds, a solicitation for volunteers to solicit funds, or for promoting a “members only” event. KKFI does not mention event sponsors within the script of any PSA.
FCC and IRS Guidelines for PSAs
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) have established strict guidelines for PSAs. These guidelines must be firmly adhered to. Please keep these guidelines in mind when you submit your request.
- Announcements may not include an inducement to buy, sell, rent or lease.
- Announcements may not contain price information, including fees, or references including “free,” “sale,” “half-price” or “discount.” If an event is free, it’s permissible to indicate that it’s “open to the public.” If an event requires tickets, the PSA may tell listeners where tickets are available.
- Announcements may not be for commercial purposes. If it involves money or measurable benefit, the recipient must have 501(c)(3) status.
- Announcements for fundraisers at commercial establishments will not be accepted, even if a portion of the funds are donated to charity.
- Announcements may not contain comparative or qualitative language, like “the best in our area,” or “the most popular…”
- Announcements may not contain a call to action, such as “be sure to attend”, “call this number” or “hurry in today.”
Submitting a PSA for broadcast on KKFI
PSA requests may be submitted using our PSA Request form at least two weeks before the event date. Timely submission makes it more likely for your PSA to be considered for broadcast.
The station does not check the details of an event, and does not take responsibility for inaccurate information. Please proofread before submitting information for a PSA.
Due to the volume of PSA information we receive, KKFI cannot accept submissions via telephone, fax, e-mail or mail. Please do not send press releases, brochures, calendars, and posters for KKFI to convert into PSAs.