Host Bev Livingston Speaks with Jennifer Heinemann, Director of Stewardship and Planned Giving at Operation Breakthrough, which for 50 years has provided a safe, loving and educational environment for children in poverty and empowering their families through advocacy, emergency aid and education.
Kansas City artist Alexander Austin memorialized Operation Breakthrough in a stellar mural.
Operation Breakthrough clearly understands the unifying power of art. So, Mothers of Incarcerated Sons & Daughters have shared artwork done by incarcerated artists with Operation Breakthrough. What better way to learn and teach art as a positive method of expression? What will come out of this collaboration? Tune in to hear.
We’ll play our calendar at the midpoint of our hour. Next, host Keith Brown El will discuss the new Missouri law that will make it easier for persons to be released after proof of wrongful incarceration. This is the case of Lamar Johnson, Kevin Strickland and Ken Middleton. His guests will be Cliff Middleton, son of Ken Middleton, and Latahra Smith, founder of KC Freedom Project.
On Jaws of Justice, we investigate how to achieve justice in America.
We hope you will listen.
TUNE IN TO KKFI 90.1 FM https://kkfi.org/listen/
“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.”
Calendar for the week of August 2nd:
If you haven’t been vaccinated yet, you can find a vaccine. See the FAQS at kcmo.gov.
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri can provide free legal assistance to low-income and vulnerable Jackson County homeowners who fall behind on their payments and face foreclosure. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- You can find Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense events at org. Open to all, Mothers and others!
- MON, Aug 2nd, noon, No More Excuses Coalition Meeting at the Mohart Center Auditorium, 3200 Wayne, KCMO.
- MONday Meets: 4 PM, Aug 2nd, an Online event hosted by The Willow Domestic Violence Center on Facebook Live, a chance to meet and talk.
- MON, 6 PM, Grief to Relief Workshop may be hosted by Corey’s Network. You can call 818-834-9161 for more information. They meet to educate the survivors of homicide on topics that will help ease the stress of losing a loved one.
- MON, August 2nd, 6:45 PM KCCJTF meeting via conference call if you would like to join in, you can call Please call 605-313-5573 and when asked for code then enter 454777
- TUES, Aug 3rd, 4 PM Testimony Tuesdays Summer Series: Op-Ed Training is an online event by ACLU of Missouri. Open to anyone, if you want to speak up and speak out, you can join for Op-Ed Training. Op-eds are a vital way to spread your message far and wide to publications across the state and beyond. More info at ACLU MO on Facebook.
- TUES, Aug 3rd, 6:30 PM, MADP monthly meeting Kansas City. Virtual, contact Bob Ronan at [email protected] for access info.
- WED, August 4th, 6:30 PM is an online event hosted by Sustainable Housing Solutions Summit open to everyone, topic: Intro to Mental Health & Homeless Outreach. Register at Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.com/…/intro-to-mental-health…
- WED, August 4th, 7 PM is Mobile Justice Unified Launch Presentation, an online event hosted by ACLU of Missouri. Open to anyone, about the ACLU of Missouri Mobile Justice smartphone app created to empower individuals to hold Missouri law enforcement agencies accountable for their actions. RSVP at MO ACLU on Facebook.
- FRI, Aug 6th through 12th, KC Jewish Film Fest: Shared Legacies The African-American Jewish Civil Rights Alliance is an online event. More info at https://www.thejkc.org/index.php?src=gendocs&ref=KCJFF_21&category=ArtsCulture&link=KCJFF_21
- FRI, Aug 6th, 12:30 PM, You can register today for an Info Session for #ErnestJohnson. Ernest is a man with intellectual disabilities who is scheduled for execution in Missouri on October 5, 2021. Learn more about Ernest, ways you can get involved with his clemency campaign, and receive toolkits to take action. More info at https://www.madpmo.org/
- FRI, Aug 6th, 11 AM, Empower Missouri Smart Sentencing Coalition (SSC), which is comprised of organizations and individuals all working towards a Missouri that is smart on crime instead of tough on crime. Meets by phone, more info at https://empowermissouri.org/campaigns/smart-sentencing-coalition/?emci=9342d725-4cee-eb11-a7ad-501ac57b8fa7&emdi=2826327b-b4ef-eb11-a7ad-501ac57b8fa7&ceid=8291638
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines are available at lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com. It is updated daily.
Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well!