We had a postponement of the Cliff Middleton interview by Keith Brown El. We will replay: Host Margot Patterson talks with Sister Jeanne Christiansen about the Bakhita Initiative and their coalition to fight Human Trafficking. We will learn about how to spot and report possible cases of human trafficking, what are the most prevalent kinds in our area and more.
http://bakhitainitiative.com/ Click on the US Sisters Against Human Trafficking Link
After the calendar, in the second half of our hour, host Latahra Smith will speak with Stephen Barbee. Stephen Barbee has over 20-years experience serving the homeless, the disadvantaged and the reentry population as a case worker, outreach worker, mentor and group facilitator. Stephen Barbee currently serves at Village Initiative, Inc. a Family Life Resource Center in Kansas City Kansas. Their mission is helping returning citizens (ex-offenders) and their families rebuild their lives as they endeavor to reintegrate back into society to become productive citizens.
We hope you will listen.
“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.”
Calendar for the week of October 5th:
In compliance with the latest version of Mayor Lucas’s emergency order, certain business activities may resume while ensuring necessary public health measures remain in place. See the FAQS at kcmo.gov.
- KCCJTF Conference Call type meeting will be MON, Oct. 5th at 6:45 PM. Call 605-313-5573 and use access code 454-777. Contact Robin Belcher at [email protected] for more info.
- MORE² Missouri Issues2Action Night will be MON, Oct. 5th 6:00 – 7:30 PM on zoom. Access info at https://www.more2.org/calendar/
- There is an occupation on the front lawn of KCMO City Hall, 414 E. 12th ST, until resignation of certain officers occurs. Organized by KC Protests.
- Domestic Violence & Childhood Trauma: 1 pm and 5 PM, MON Oct 5th, Online event. You can get information on DV & childhood trauma. Willow 101 presentation. Facebook live event see at Willow Domestic Violence Center.
- Monday Meets: 4 PM, Oct 5th, Online event. The Willow Domestic Violence Center Facebook Live event to meet and talk.
- Missourians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty MADP, will have their virtual meeting via zoom on TUES, Oct. 6th at 6:30 PM. Agenda and access info available by contacting Bob Ronan at [email protected].
- We Demand Police Accountability March: WED, Oct. 7th, 6 PM, KS State Capitol, 300 SW 10th St, Topeka KS. More info from Black Lives Matter – Topeka on Facebook. Please wear all black.
- Thunder THURS, virtual event hosted by More² and Advocates for Immigrant Rights and Reconciliation (AIRR), 6 to 7 PM. Access info on Facebook.
- THURS, Oct 8th, virtual meetings of Moms Demand Action, Warrensburg MO – 6 PM and Johnson CTY Kansas, 6:30 PM. See details at https://momsdemandaction.org/events/
- FRI, Oct 9th , 4 – 9 PM, Chuck E. Cheese’s Fundraiser for Corey’s Network. All YOU have to do is show up, eat pizza, play games and HAVE FUN! 15% of what you spend is given to CNI toward a child’s funeral or Trust Fund for the children of a homicide victim. 18701 E. 39th, Independence MO.
- Mothers of Incarcerated Sons & Daughters will have their monthly meeting Noon until 2 PM at Plexpod Westport Commons on SAT, Oct. 10th. Plexpod Westport Commons is centrally located on bus line, easy to find at 300 E. 39th St KCMO (Annex A) with convenient parking and much more. Check details at misdkc.org.
- MON, Oct 12th, from 9 AM – 12:30 PM. Heartland Coalition 7th Annual Community Forum (virtual) Gun Violence: Going Beyond Thoughts and Prayers … This online event is hosted by Grandparents Against Gun Violence. See details at https://moksgagv.org/
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines are available at lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com. It is updated daily.
Please take care of yourselves and others. Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well! The Covid-19 pandemic has brought into sharp focus the need for health care reforms that promote universal access to affordable care.
Please listen to Jaws of Justice next week!