Know Your Enemy: Margot Patterson Talks with Paul Becker and Art Jipson about Hate Groups
Paul Becker, a former Probation Officer, now an Associate Professor of Sociology and Criminology, and Art Jipson, also Associate Professor of Sociology Prof , both at the University of Dayton, are Research Experts on the topic of White Supremacist Organizations.
Their expertise includes hate crimes, white supremacy, anti-government movements, political extremism, domestic terrorism, animals and society (including exotic animals), corporate deviance, sociology of the Internet, hate crimes, extremism, corporate crime, environmental crime, exploitation of children, and crime in film and on television. They contend white nationalism began in the US and has then spread across the globe.
The light of educated thought and the public media might cause it to shrivel.
At the middle of the hour, host Craig Lubow talks with Kyle J. Smith, Founder of Determination, Inc., a Kansas City-based nonprofit that hosts business basics workshops and entrepreneurship competitions for currently and formerly incarcerated people. Their Mission is to increase the positive social and economic impact of formerly incarcerated people. He will tell us about their Rise Up, Get Started event: Kansas City’s FIRST entrepreneurship competition for formerly incarcerated people. And that’s not all! They help others create podcasts, they offer support groups and more.
We hope you will listen.
“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.”
Calendar for the week of March 15th:
Please ensure necessary public health measures remain in place. See the FAQS at kcmo.gov.
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri can provide free legal assistance to Jackson County homeowners pertaining to property and debt payment. In a year, there has been a 500% increase in the number of homeowners who were 90 days or more past due on their mortgages. Legal Aid of Western Missouri can provide free civil legal services to low-income and vulnerable people who live in Jackson CTY MO. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- For Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense virtual meetings this week, go to https://momsdemandaction.org/events/. All are welcome, mothers and others.
- MON 3/15 11 AM Moral Monday Heal the Nation: an online event by the Kansas Poor People’s Campaign: a moral agenda for Kansas, which includes an end to voter suppression and other regressive policies. Advocates and moral leaders will hold a socially-distant news conference and demand letter delivery. You can gather at the south side of the Capitol in Topeka KS, SW 8th and SW VanBuren, and it will be live streamed on Facebook @KansasPPC
- The Kansas City Chapter of Missouri Citizens United for the Rehabilitation of Errants should have their monthly virtual meeting Monday, March 15th. MO CURE advocates for the human rights of prisoners in Missouri prisons and jails as well as those who have returned to society. For info call Keith Brown El at 816-377-2873.
- March 15th, MON Meets: 4 PM, Online event. The Willow Domestic Violence Center Get to know the Willow. Facebook Live
- THURS, March 18th, 6:30 PM. UMKC Cockefair Lecture by Isabel Wilkerson, author of “Caste: The Origins of our Discontents” The New York Times bestseller. A gifted storyteller, Wilkerson captivates audiences with the universal human story of migration and reinvention, as well as the unseen hierarchies that have divided us as a nation, in order to find a way to transcend them. This is an online event, access info at https://info.umkc.edu/cockefair/whats-new/
- THURS, March 18th, 5 – 7 PM. Hope and Healing Support Group for Survivors of Homicide has a guest speaker Janice Heins, KCPD Homicide Unit – 1010 Squad, who will share her insights on violent crime in Kansas City. This socially distanced event is presented by KC Mothers in Charge at the Robert J. Mohart Multipurpose Center, 3200 Wayne AVE, STE 124, Kansas City MO Contact: [email protected].org or dial 816-912-2601 #StoptheViolence
- FRI, March 19th, 11 AM, the EmpowerMO Smart Sentencing Coalition Call You can join the Smart Sentencing Coalition to discuss top criminal justice priorities in the state & local regions.
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines are available at blogspot.com. It is updated daily.
Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well!