Join us Monday, April 26, 2021, at 9:00 AM when host David Bell will interview Kansas City visual artist Harold Smith. Mr. Smith uses his talents to convey Black history through the arts. Mr. Smith put it best when he stated, “If a person wants to know what happened. Read a history book. If they want to know how it affected people, look at the artwork. This adds to the importance of Black art throughout history. It is like hieroglyphics.”
Listeners can preview some of Mr. Smith’s work at http://haroldsmithart.com/ before the interview.
TUNE IN TO KKFI 9.1 FM https://kkfi.org/listen/
“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.”
Calendar for the week of April 26th:
In compliance with Mayor Lucas’ emergency order, ensure necessary public health measures remain in place. Please continue to wear masks and social distance. See the FAQS at kcmo.gov.
- If you are behind on your mortgage, Legal Aid of Western Missouri may be able to provide you with free legal advice and services. If you are a resident of Jackson County, you can give them a call: 816-474-6750.
- You can check to register for Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America events this week at https://momsdemandaction.org/events/
- Monday Meets: 4 PM, Online event. Hosted by The Willow Domestic Violence Center open to everyone on Facebook Live.
- MON, April 26th, Noon, No More Excuses Coalition Meeting at the Mohart Center Auditorium, 3200 Wayne, 64109. No Excuses Coalition will meet every 1st & 4th Monday of each month.
- MON, April 26th, Online, join MADP online via Twitter as we await opening arguments in the trial of Eric Lawson in St. Louis City. Accused in the murders of Gwendolyn Ray, Breiana Ray, and Aiden Lawson in 2012, Mr. Lawson has been held pre-trial at the CJC for over nine years. This is the second attempt of the Attorney General and proceeding judges in obtaining a death-qualified jury and potential death sentence for Mr. Lawson. If sharing our content online, make sure to follow and tag us on Twitter @MADPMO. www.twitter.com/madpmo
- TUES, April 27th, 6 PM Online, join the Community Remembrance Project of MO, the Kansas City Friends of Alvin Ailey and the UMKC Carolyn Benton Cockefair Chair for an online lecture with Bryan Stevenson, Founder of the Equal Justice Initiative. Bryan Stevenson is a widely acclaimed public interest lawyer dedicated to providing help to the poor, incarcerated, and condemned. More info at https://www.rockhurst.edu/events/04-27-2021/lecture-bryan-stevenson-partnership-justice-and-remembrance Register at: https://securelb.imodules.com/s/1236/16/index.aspx?sid=1236&gid=1&pgid=4174&cid=7961
- FRI, April 30th, 11 AM, Smart Sentencing Coalition Call, more info at https://empowermissouri.org/smart-sentencing-coalition/?emci=e910634a-40a1-eb11-85aa-0050f237abef&emdi=4d7a9e46-b2a2-eb11-85aa-0050f237abef&ceid=8291638
- SAT, May 1st, 1 PM, Veronica’s Voice is having Volunteer Appreciation at the beautiful Lavender Hill Farm! More info at https://www.veronicasvoice.org/event-details/volunteer-appreciation?utm_campaign=27e41589-8848-4209-97b1-bab9bca73541&utm_medium=mail&utm_source=so&cid=61df96e4-0877-4e9d-91d0-5f7670a22032
- SAT, May 1st 9 AM, Criminal Justice Reform: Alternatives To Incarcerating Our Youth: 9 am, Online event. League of Women Voters – Johnson County KS In 2019, the Johnson County District Attorney’s office filed 1,504 cases against juvenile offenders (ages 10-17). More info on Facebook.
- SAT, May 1st, 10 AM May Day Rally to Pass The PRO-Act is a rally at Ilus Davis Park, Kansas City, MO. The PRO Act protects workers.
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines are available at blogspot.com. The list is updated daily.
Please take care of yourselves and others. The Covid-19 pandemic has brought into sharp focus the need for health care reforms that promote universal access to affordable care. COVID-19 has devastated the U.S. prison and jail population.