On March 6th, host Latahra Smith will speak with her guest, Michelle Smith. Latahra is with KC Freedom Project. Michelle is with Missourians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty. Their topic is a new bill in the Missouri House relating to the use of confidential informants, HB 1311.
The proposed bill may be called “Noelle’s Law”. It would require that a law enforcement agency that uses confidential informants shall adopt policies and procedures that provide reasonable protective measures for the informants when a law enforcement agency knows or should know of a risk or threat of harm to the confidential informant as a result of his or her service to the law enforcement agency; and to refer prospective and current confidential informants who are known to be substance abusers or to be at risk for substance abuse to prevention or treatment services.
Informants are either individuals who have been charged with their own crimes and have agreed to cooperate with law enforcement in the hopes for reduced charges or sentence based upon that cooperation, or are people who are paid for their information and access to criminal groups or activities. The proposed bill will also provide protection and treatment services for persons who provide testimony to law enforcement.
The proposed bill provides even more incentive for persons to provide false testimony to law enforcement, but false testimony can result in the wrongful conviction of another.
Latahra and Michelle welcome listeners to call-in and have their opinions and experiences heard on live radio. Please dial 816)931-5534.
We bring you vital information underserved or ignored by mainstream media. We pride ourselves on digging in and sharing the issues that entertain and inform our listeners by providing a curated, unique and independent voice.
On Jaws of Justice, we examine how to find justice in our society. Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.
Calendar for the week of March 6th:
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri can provide free legal assistance to low-income and vulnerable Jackson County homeowners who fall behind on their payments and face foreclosure. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- You can find Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense events at org. Open to all, Mothers and others!
- TUES, March 7th, 10 AM Missouri Moms Demand Action Advocacy Day, you can meet up at the State Capitol, 201 W Capitol Ave, Jefferson City MO. More info on Facebook at Missouri Advocacy Day.
- WED, March 8th, 6:30 PM JoCo Moms Demand Action March IN-PERSON/VIRTUAL Membership Meeting will be at Shawnee Mission UU Church, 9400 Pflumm, 66215. Shawnee Mission UU Church, 9400 Pflumm, Lenexa KS
- MON, March 6th, between 6:45 PM and 8:45 PM, Kansas City Criminal Justice Task Force (KCCJTC) has a meeting via conference call if you would like to join in, you can call 605-313-5573 and when asked for code then enter 454777
- TUES, March 7th, 9 AM – 4 PM, Missouri Day of Empathy 2023 will kick off the inaugural legislative advocacy day focused on centering criminal legal system directly impacted people. You can meet with Missouri elected officials to urge them to support rehabilitative programs, humane carceral conditions, and compassionate legislative reforms. Missouri State Capitol, 201 W Capitol Ave, Jefferson City, MO More info at https://www.mobilize.us/dream/event/546613/
- TUES, March 7th, 6 PM Perspectives on Ukraine: The Impact of War on Local Communities with Dr Oleksandra Wallo will be in the Auditorium of Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vermont, Lawrence KS, in partnership with the Center for Russian, Eastern European and Eurasian Studies at the University of Kansas. Originally from Lviv, Ukraine and having recently returned from the region, Dr. Wallo will share her unique and personal perspective on the current conflict and its impact on Ukrainian citizens. Elsewhere this is titled: How Russia’s War Is Changing Ukraine.
- TUES, March 7th, 6:30 PM, March Membership Meeting & KC Council Endorsement Vote with Our Revolution Kansas City will meet at 5601 Locust St, Kansas City MO. The ORKC Research and Endorsement Committee has been hard at work soliciting questionnaires and interviewing the candidates for KC City Council. They will present their findings and lead a discussion about who ORKC will support and formally vote on their endorsements.
- WED, March 8th, 11 AM, Clean Slate Advocacy Day hosted by Empower Missouri will meet at the Missouri State Capitol, 201 W Capitol Ave, Jefferson City, Missouri. More info at https://empowermissouri.org/events/clean-slate-advocacy-day/
- WED, March 8th, 9:30 AM, the 7th Annual Working Women’s Lobby Day will meet at Bone’s Banquet Center, 210 Commercial Ave, Jefferson City MO for breakfast and speakers. Then to the Capitol to lobby your Representative. For more information, please contact Merri Berry, Missouri AFL-CIO (314) 420-8095
- WED, March 8th 6:30 PM, District 4 and THURS, March 9th, 6:30 PM, District 5, there are virtual Kansas City Commission Candidate forums hosted by the League of Women Voters. To register, you can go to https://www.lwvkc.org/
- FRI, March 10th, NOON, Empower Missouri’s Friday March Forum is a virtual event and the topic is Universal Free School Meals, more info at https://empowermissouri.org/events/march-friday-forum-universal-free-school-meals/
- SAT, March 11th, 10 AM, Legislative Coffee at the JoCo Library – Gardner, KS, 127 E Shawnee St. Hosted by League of Women Voters – Johnson County KS Discover what’s percolating in the Kansas Legislature. Representatives and Senators with constituents in Johnson County will discuss the new legislative session, followed by Q&A. Registration is not required to attend in-person.
- SAT, March 11, NOON – 2 PM, Mothers of Incarcerated Sons & Daughters invites you to an Eliminate Fines and Fees Rally at Plexpod, Westport, 300 E. 39th, Kansas City MO. You can RESERVE your seat for free lunch and opportunities to change oppressive systems and laws on Eventbrite. Be INFORMED, EMPOWERED and INSPIRED at https://misdkc.org/
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines are available at lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com. It is updated daily.
Please take care of yourselves and others. Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well!