On September 5th, we open with commentary by Keith Brown El. Funny how great minds think alike, but at the same time as the Biden statement, Keith’s statement is critical of Trump and calls for us all to be aware and to be urgent in our reaction to the travesty of democracy that is the Trump approach to the leadership of our great country.
Unlike most Jaws of Justice programs, the case of Donald Trump is not a malfeasance of justice. The chances that Trump will serve time for his crimes of inciting riot, death and damage to our nations’ holdings are slim. Our country puts blacks in prison for inciting social change, a´ la the Black Panthers, not former Presidents.
However, the fact we rarely put a white person in prison for crimes against society is not an immutable fact and Trump has given the United States a golden opportunity to counter our well-worn habit of incarcerating black Americans for crimes defended by the radical chic.
Donald Trump and his ilk are engaging in terrorism against all we hold dear. They espouse racial, classist and sexist points of views just as Old Faithful can be relied on to erupt regularly. If we do not condemn those who hold racist and sexist philosophies, how can we be the land of the free?
We’ll play the calendar at the midpoint of our hour and then we will replay an episode from March 14, 2022, when Latarha Smith of KC Freedom Project spoke to Cliff Middleton about the lifelong incarceration of his father, Ken Middleton, for a murder which Ken has always denied.
There is an upcoming rally to speak out on behalf of Ken Middleton’s innocence. His attorney is planning to file a motion against Jackson County District Attorney, Jean Peters Baker, pertaining to Ken Middleton’s case. This motion can open doors for others to file motions if their cases have the same grounds.
We bring you vital information underserved or ignored by mainstream media. We pride ourselves on digging in and sharing the issues that entertain and inform our listeners by providing a curated, unique and independent voice.
On Jaws of Justice, we examine how to find justice in our society. Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.
Calendar for the week of September 5th:
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri provides free civil legal services to low-income and vulnerable people in Jackson CTY Missouri. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America is a very active group of Mothers and others. You can learn where their virtual meetings this week will occur at https://momsdemandaction.org/events/
- THURS, Sept. 8th, 7:30 PM, MO Statewide Monthly Meeting is an online event.
- THURS, Sept 8th, 5 PM, KC Social/ Elections Event, Casual Animal Brewing Co, 1725 McGee, KCMO
- THURS, Sept. 8th, 6:30 PM JoCo Moms September INPERSON/VIRTUAL Membership Meeting at Shawnee Mission Unitarian Universalist Church, 9400 Pflumm, Lenexa. Zoom available.
- SAT, Sept 10th, 10 AM, Do Justice. Love Mercy – What’s Required to Abolish the Death Penalty is an Online event. Panel *Peter Goerzen, Professor of Bible and Religion, Bethel College *Donna Schneweis, Board Chair, KCADP *Ron Wurtz, Retired Federal Public Defender, First Director of the Kansas Death Penalty Defense Unit *Katie Rose Friesen Birkey, Bethel College Student *Steven Becker, Former District Court Judge 27th District/Kansas State Rep. District 104 *Wilma Loganbill, Murder Victim Family Member Attendance Options: In person: Krehbiel Auditorium, Bethel College North Newton Virtual: Zoom Event is open to KCADP members and the general public. No admission charge. To register: Email [email protected] and specify your attendance preference (in person or virtual) sponsored by: *Bethel College Bible & Religion Dept. *Kansas Institute for Peace & Conflict Resolution *Kansas Coalition Against the Death Penalty
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines specific to sheltering are available at https://lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com/ It is updated daily.
Stay safe. Be kind to each other.