On 6/21/21, Jaws of Justice is bringing listeners a show about the recently identified location for Jackson County to build a new detention center. Host Bev Livingston will speak with Jalen Anderson, Jackson County 1st District-at-large Legislator, about the plans for a new jail.
Since 2018, Jackson County Missouri has been studying the detention center and whether it is best to build a new one and if so, how and where?
The best way to address corrections in our community is to address corrections in our community.
Jaws of Justice will air our calendar at the midpoint of our hour. After that, Keith Brown El speaks with Executive Director of I Am My Brother’s Keeper, Charles Johnson.
I Am My Brother’s Keeper is a group whose mission is to repair the damages in our communities caused by our history of indignity by giving ourselves real love.
TUNE IN TO KKFI 90.1 FM https://kkfi.org/listen/
“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.”
Calendar for the week of June 21st:
According to the CDC, if you are fully vaccinated, you can resume activities that you did prior to the pandemic – without wearing a mask or physically distancing, except where required by govt, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance. If you haven’t been vaccinated yet, you can find a vaccine. See the FAQS at kcmo.gov.
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri can provide free civil legal services to low-income and vulnerable people who live in Jackson CTY MO. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- For Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense virtual meetings this week, go to https://momsdemandaction.org/events/. All are welcome, mothers and others.
- The Kansas City Chapter of Missouri Citizens United for the Rehabilitation of Errants has a monthly virtual meeting. MO CURE advocates for the human rights of prisoners in Missouri prisons and jails as well as those who have returned to society. For info call Keith Brown El at 816-377-2873.
- MON June 21sth, MON Meets: 3 PM, an Online event hosted by The Willow Domestic Violence Center. On Facebook Live
- WED, June 23rd, 1 PM or again at 5 PM, you can attend a volunteer training session for the KC Chapter of Mothers in Charge at the Robert J Mohart Multipurpose Center, 3200 Wayne Ave, KCMO. Contact Latrice Murray at [email protected] or call 816-912-2601 to learn more and register. This group is for people who have lost loved ones to murder and violence. #StoptheViolence #WeWillAlwaysRememberThem
- SAT, June 26th 12:30 PM is the Missourians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty Annual Meeting, featuring a panel discussion and Q&A with renowned author and historian Walter Johnson, along with author and journalist Betty Ridge. Moderated by Nimrod Chapel, Board President of MADP. Register at: bit.ly/
- SAT, June 26, noon is the Tenant Day of Reckoning KC Tenants event at 1600 Jackson Ave, Kansas City, MO For far too long, tenants in Kansas City have been forced to live in unhealthy conditions, harassed, exploited, and displaced. At the Tenant Reckoning, you can diagnose the problem and propose an alternative. The rally will take place at Gabriel Tower Apartments.
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines are available at blogspot.com. It is updated daily.
Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well!
Early in the recording, Keith asked Charles the name of a re-entry program for women, and he was unable to give this name: https://www.thehelpkc.org/