On December 5th, host Margot Patterson speaks with her guest Nicolas J. S. Davies about the book he has written with Medea Benjamin, War in Ukraine: Making Sense of a Senseless Conflict. Nicolas Davies will be live in our studio. Nicolas Davies is an independent journalist and a researcher with CODEPINK. He has come to Kansas City for a book talk which is starting out on Jaws of Justice. He is scheduled to speak at the All-Souls Unitarian Church on December 5th and at the University of Missouri on December 6th. As faith leaders around the world call for a Christmas truce in Ukraine, CODEPINK sees this time as an excellent moment to restart the diplomatic peace negotiations that the US and UK torpedoed in April. Russia’s brutal February 2022 invasion of Ukraine has attracted widespread condemnation across the West. Government and media circles present the conflict as a simple dichotomy between an evil empire and an innocent victim. Nicolas Davies insists the picture is more complicated.
Margot will also speak with Cris Mann, an organizer for the Missouri book talk. Many listeners may be familiar with Cris, who has been an active volunteer at PeaceWorksKC and KKFI.
CODEPINK is a left-wing internationally active non-governmental organization that describes itself as a “grassroots peace and social justice movement working to end U.S.-funded wars.
Listen to Margot’s discussion with Nicolas Davies and Cris Mann on Monday, December 5th at 9 a.m. on KKFI.
On Jaws of Justice, we examine how to find justice in our society. Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.
Calendar for the week of December 5th:
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri provides free civil legal services to low-income and vulnerable people in Jackson CTY Missouri. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America is a very active group of Mothers and others. You can learn where their virtual meetings this week will occur at https://momsdemandaction.org/events/
- MON, Dec. 5th, 6:45 PM, Kansas City Criminal Justice Task Force is meeting via conference call if you like to join in. Conference call # : 605-313-5573 and when prompted, type in 454777
- MON, Dec. 5th, 7 PM, Nicolas J. S. Davies will speak about the book he co-authored with Medea Benjamin, War in Ukraine and the book will be available for purchase. This event will be in the Conover Room of All Souls Unitarian Universalist Church, 4501 Walnut St, Kansas City, MO. Sponsored by PeaceWorks Kansas City, Code Pink, Community of Reason, and Veterans for Peace.
- TUES, Dec. 6th , 4 PM, at The Combine, 2999 Troost Avenue, Kansas City, MO, you can join Empower Missouri staff, coalition members, and other advocates for a Holiday Happy Hour!
- TUES, Dec. 6th, 6 PM, Empower Missouri is hosting a virtual Clean Slate Townhall. Local faith leaders will be sharing why their faith calls them to support second chances through automated expungement. Registration info is at https://empowermissouri.org/events/virtual-town-hall-faith/
- WED, Dec. 7th, 7 PM, Missouri Department of Corrections virtual town hall. Attend to learn how to advocate on behalf of people who are incarcerated. To register, go to https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_bD1aZLBGRGmaKCkCAkN9fA?eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=523a29d8-519f-4e22-b4d7-7b4f0491022c
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines specific to sheltering are available at https://lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com/ It is updated daily.
Stay safe. Be kind to each other.