Jaws of Justice is bringing listeners a special show during pledge drive. Host Keith Brown El will speak with Ronnie Amiyn. Amiyn left prison in 2018 after serving 25 years. Today, he is the Housing Coordinator for the Criminal Justice Ministry’s Release to Rent program. This program helps formerly incarcerated people with housing and other services.
Amiyn is working with the St. Louis chapter of EX-incarcerated People Organizing on voting campaigns where he participates in discussions with local and state policymakers, lawyers and activists about immediately restoring voting rights for formerly incarcerated people. He also a member of the Missouri CURE board, where he focuses on disseminating information about mistreatment in prison and policies and laws that contradict positive rehabilitation experiences for former prisoners.
“When a person has done their time, they should be permitted to operate fully and function fully within the community,” Amiyn said.
TUNE IN TO KKFI 90.1 FM https://kkfi.org/listen/
We hope you will listen. We hope you will give to support KKFI. This is easy to do from https://kkfi.org/
“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.”
Calendar for the week of June 14th:
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri provides free civil legal services to low-income and vulnerable people. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America is a very active group of Mothers and others. You can learn where their virtual meetings this week will occur at https://momsdemandaction.org/events/
- MON, June 14th, 6 PM, More² June Issues2Action Meeting, you can join, online via zoom. There will be breakout groups by issue task force for both Missouri and Kansas teams. Register to attend at More² on Facebook or https://more2.org/events/
- THURS, June 17th, 4 PM Domestic Violence Support Group is an Online event. Free and confidential. Connect with other survivors in the community Build skills for Positive Parenting and Healthy Relationships Discuss topics like gaslighting, power & control, boundary setting, and the cycle of abuse. Email Martha for more details: [email protected]
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines specific to sheltering are available at lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com. It is updated daily.
Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well! A crisis on the scale of the pandemic can reorder society in dramatic ways, for better or worse. All of society pays a heavy price for decades of failing to create a rational system of health care that works for all of us.