Monday, July 4th, the crew of Jaws of Justice is going to air The Dialogue News Show #118, Police Reform in the Aftermath of George Floyd. The Dialogue News Show is a weekly radio program produced by News Anchor Barry Barometer on WCAA 107.3 FM, Grand Street Community Radio in Albany, NY. This is a series that looks at community development, public administration, public policy and political science from both a national and local perspective. The lack of racial equity in America is a common theme, and they often emphasize the racial impact of American Democracy on the backs and necks of minorities.
Barry Barometer worked with the PBS Frontline program Police on Trial and added his comments to the George Floyd murder and judgement against Derek Chauvin.
We bring you vital information underserved or ignored by mainstream media. We pride ourselves on digging in and sharing the issues that entertain and inform our listeners by providing a curated, unique and independent voice.
On Jaws of Justice, we examine how to find justice in our society. Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.
(episode image credit to Ehimetalor Akhere Unuabona)
Calendar for the week of July 4th:
- Legal Aid of Western Missouri provides free civil legal services to low-income and vulnerable people in Jackson CTY Missouri. Interested individuals can call 816-474-6750 to apply.
- Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America is a very active group of Mothers and others. You can learn where their virtual meetings this week will occur at https://momsdemandaction.org/events/
- TUES, July 5th, 6 PM, It Is Our Duty to Fight: Before & After Roe v. Wade: Reproductive Justice Political Education, an online event hosted by Reale Justice Network Supporters should have an understanding and clear knowledge about the reproductive justice movement historically and the local work that has been done to advance RJ values and principles.It’s important to know why communities of color continue to be a target for not just for Roe v. Wade but also for voting rights and other important rights that are now in danger.
- SAT, July 9th, 9:30 AM – 1 PM, Behemoth Bag Pack at Grand Hall, Union Station, 30 W Pershing Rd, Kansas City MO. Roll up your sleeves and help pack away hunger at this giant volunteer event. Bring your friends, family or the stranger you just met and fill bags with fresh produce for those facing food insecurity throughout our region. Free and open to all, it’s an opportunity to spend quality time doing good in our community.
- SAT July 9th, 11 AM – 2 PM, Rally to Defeat Amendment: 11 am – 2 pm, Meet at the DoCo Court House (11th & Massachusetts, Lawrence KS) and march up the sidewalks of Massachusetts street.
- SAT, July 9th, NOON, Mothers of Incarcerated Sons & Daughters is having a monthly session to offer information about state/federal criminal justice systems, support/advocacy for self and the incarcerated, legislative bills, lobby for laws/reforms, events, self-help, community news and actions are shared and much more. Many leave feeling empowered, not alone and overwhelmed. You can join them at Plexpod Westport Commons, centrally located on bus line, easy to find at 300 E. 39th St KCMO (Annex A) meeting room with convenient parking.
- A list of services, meals, and hot lines specific to sheltering are available at https://lawrenceprogressivecalendar.blogspot.com/ It is updated daily.
Stay safe. Thanks to all our listeners, stay close to your dial and stay well! A crisis on the scale of the pandemic can reorder society in dramatic ways, for better or worse. All of society pays a heavy price for decades of failing to create a rational system of health care that works for all of us.