Artspeak Radio Joins KKFI Lineup, Plus Schedule ChangesMatt Quinn
Artspeak Radio, a live 30-minute program about the thriving visual arts and literary community in the Kansas City area, will be a part of the weekly KKFI 90.1 FM program schedule starting Wednesday, December 4 at 6:00 pm Central Time. The show is produced by hosts Maria Vasquez Boyd and Blair Schulman with features of local artists, writers, and performers.
Artspeak Radio joins KKFI’s expanded set of programs focusing on local arts and culture. Other shows in this category include Arts Magazine on stage performances; From Ark to Microchip, which mixes commentary, dramatic re-enactment, original music, historic voices, and audio art; and two short segments, Freeze Frame and Take Two, reviewing new film releases.
Artspeak Radio started production in September 2012 with occasional productions in the “Thursday Night Special” timeslot.
Past episodes of Artspeak Radio include a show with New York-based artist Daniel Shea, who works in photography, installation and sculpture. He was in Kansas City to participate in ‘Lost and Found’, a group exhibition also featuring Sarah Bostwick, Nuala Clarke, Emily Connell, Ethan Greenbaum, Elana Herzog, and Alex Lukas at PLUG projects. Geo Sipp, Professor of Art at Missouri Western State University in St. Joseph, Missouri, spoke about his Wolves in the City project. Wolves in the City is an in-progress graphic novel about the French-Algerian War, fought from 1954-1962.
Program host Maria Vasquez Boyd has been published in such publications and anthologies as Salt Magazine, Present, Primera Pagina and Cuentos del Centro. She is a photographer, illustrator, radio producer and a founding member of the Latino Writers Collective (biography source: Everyday Other Things)
Program co-host Blair Schulman writes about art and artists in and around the Kansas City area for a variety of local, regional and national publications. His reviews and commentary are a first-hand account of the community as it thrives and contributes an important dialogue to a larger arts vernacular.
More Program Schedule Changes
In a continuing effort to bring listeners new and compelling programming with a tilt towards local topics and hosts KKFI 90.1 FM makes the following program schedule changes.
- The last show for long-running “Voice of Reason” was December 1.
- Starting December 8, Weekend Start moves to Sunday from 1:00-7:00 am with a new name “Sunday Start.”
- Art of the Song moves to the 7:00 am slot on Sunday, December 8.
- Dr. Mike’s Early Morning Medicine Show moves to Saturday morning from 1:00-5:00 am.
- Bookwaves, a nationally-syndicated literary show, leaves the lineup.
- All Soul’s Forum moves to its new timeslot on Wednesday, 12:00-1:00 pm, starting on December 4.
- Artspeak Radio airs Wednesday from 6:00 to 6:30 pm, followed by the half-hour show From Ark to Microchip from 6:30 to 7:00 pm.
Thank you for your support of KKFI 90.1 FM, Kansas City Community Radio